Moratorium Verdict - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Chief of E.P.

Exclamation Moratorium Verdict

A little bird just called me from Olympia and it appears the moratorium has been rescinded on the advice of the State AGís office. A compromise was reached for a one fish annual limit.

It is not the victory some of us had hoped for but a step in the right direction. More details to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Sinktip,

Is this a 2 year decision or a more permanent decision?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:36 PM

No one knows yet. Could this all be from back room deals between the state and the Hoh Tribe? You bet ya.

You know we had the vote before the AG spoke. It will be interesting as time goes on who told the AG to go before the board. Was it the Gov or did the fish & game work on him?

Any way one looks at it Forks is in no better situation than they were with a moratorium maybe worse. With one fish a year only, the bonkers are not going to come for the week and the C&R people are going to spend their money else where because the way Forks has acted on this entire thing. I tell you the mayor has shot the people of Forks right in the foot, the left knee cap and made most of the local guides drift boats into winter firewood supply. And you know as much as we wanted to help Forks I hope the mayor falls right on her face along with the big M family who really runs the town.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Chief of E.P.

Kerry,

I'm not sure. Homer was headed back into the meeting after he gave me a quick call. I am sure he will post all he knows once he gets back.

tip
Old 09-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

M family? I think I have run into them.

I said before the last public comments made by the good mayor I would visit Forks and patronize the businesses there as I would at any other time. But since the twit's comments attacking fly fishermen I won't spend a dime in that town until they vote that *@&$# out of office.

Are you out there Forks? Get rid of your mayor. She is doing you nothing but harm. Take a look at how Port Angeles responded to the moratorium and learn something.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:09 PM

Looks like the mayor has begun a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Leland.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:18 PM

This is a total back room deal. It blows and it is too bad people don't have the spine to stand up for what is right. I can't wait to hear the audio so I know whom to really be mad at.

Here is the letter I just sent the chamber out in forks.

Dear Forks Chamber of Commerce,

I am writing to tell you I that I will no longer be spending money in your town as a result of your decision to fight to get the wild steelhead kill moratorium over turned which it just was today. As a catch and release advocate you and your political leaders have made it very clear that you donít want my kind of people out there in your town spending our money. I donít make a ton of trips out there but I usually make 2 trips a year and probably spend around $500 each year out there maybe a little more but you have now lost my portion and I will be recommending to others to do the same. Of course this year me and my buddies were going to do our annual winter trip out there rather then the Skagit but no more (4 people for a minimum of 3 days). Your short sightedness is truly amazing to me. You all said at the hearing saying you would rather have no fishing then have a catch and release fishing well you still get to kill your fish and help to take another resource into the ground.

Since you donít want my kind out there I wonít trouble you by coming out there and will save you the trouble of looking down and making snide remarks.

Jeff Johnson
Old 09-02-2004, 04:48 PM
LBFF Mojo

It sucks we lost the moratorium but we did win something. I mean you cannot go down much from 1.

Like OC said, this ruling is not going to help Forks one bit. Why spend multiple days over there if you cannot kill a fish a day.

I also think this ruling has a longer chance of staying put than the 2 year ban did anyway. I do not see them revisiting this anytime soon.

As for Forks and Mayor Reed, see ya. I will not be visiting any longer.

I am also curious why the AG was involved. Seems odd, especially since she is running for governer. Think she was trying to secure a few more votes from moderates Did she come out with a stance on the issue? Still listening to the audio...

WSC and others, I thank you for your work.

-sean
Old 09-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Pullin' Thread

Hopefully we Washingtonians will remember what our AG did in a few weeks when the primary election is held. She won't get my vote. It sounds like she was worried that two tribes, city of Forks, bonkers, and possibly the NWIFC might appeal the moratorium if upheld.

At any rate, remember the request for input on the moratorium put out by the commision stated they were especially interested in any regulation change that might allow limited harvest. Also, remember the letter from the legislators to the commission was adament about the commission violated the law by "making a policy change" which they stated only the legislature could do. The change to one wild fish/year completely takes these legislators' argument and position of the commission "making policy" away.

This is why I posted herein and then sent to the commission a letter in support of the moratorium and a suggestion that if the moratorium was rescinded, the commission adopt a one wild fish/year limit along with no steelhead fishing during March/April once that single fish was bonked (the no fishing during March/April I ripped off from Smalma's suggestions he made in the spring herein).

I see this as a win for the fish for the reasons stated above and because those like the City of Forks, the two tribes, the NWIFC, and the bonker advocates cannot claim that the state infringed on their ability to take a wild fish. I honestly see a lot more C&R of wild fish resulting from this and I also see this change in regulation being a long-term change, not a 2-year one like the moratorium.

I personally think we ought to be rejoicing at the one wild fish/year limit. It is a win for the fish and a win for we who desire more consevation for the fish.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:23 PM
CND The Spey Underground

As something of an outsider to this issue I understand JJ's bitterness and the urge to punish Forks. However, I tend to lean towards Flytyer and Sinktip's position that this is probably a good thing. When it was 5 fish per year a week's trip of "blood and guts" was worth it - but is one fish? Probably not. So without question the fish win - that is what it is about.

Should C&R guys boycott Forks? I'm not so sure. The long term winning situation is that the small-minded politicians of the berg actually get that C&R is good for them. Only then will the threat of political action to allow wild fish harvests cease. I think we should probably go there and take the high road - it is the way to get what is right.

My.02

Still Living Large!
Old 09-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Jolly Buddha

Unhappy

It will be for this Rule Cycle, thatís what I got out of it.

The first vote they did was for a five fish limit was voted down 5 to 4.
The second vote was for a 1 fish limit that passed by a 6 to 3 vote.
The final vote for 1 fish limit per year and to rescind the moratorium
was 9 to 0 every one voted yes.

I went and listen to the conference call two more times so I could get all the info correct.
Then after that I went up to the 6th floor and talk with some people with the fish program. They have 60 days to input this into the regs.

Bob Tuck said these is the best compromise between both parties.

Iím off to another meeting; Iíll be back later with more.

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!

Last edited by Brian Simonseth; 09-07-2004 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:39 PM

Kush,

I am a hot head and I freely admit that. You probably can understand that some.

Reason I feel that I will boycott Forks.
1) Mayor Reed and the Chamber have made it clear they don't like fly fisherman.
2) Mayor Reed and the Chamber have made it clear that they don't want CnR fisherman out there.
3) Mayor Reed and the Chamber got into calling people whom support this snobs and urban elitists.
4) Direct quote from the City Clerk: ďI wish the people around the state that support this would take care of their rivers in their own backyards before they come out and mess with ours,Ē Leinan said. So if they don't want me their I won't go.

I am not saying I won't fish out there but my money will be spent in other towns and I will probably be camping.

JJ
Old 09-02-2004, 07:44 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Fair enough JJ. I do understand the frustration that seems to be part of steelhead politics - especially when it comes to non-fishers who are only concerned about lining their pockets with fisherman's money. I guess spending your money in another OP town might get the message across

Still Living Large!
Old 09-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Pullin' Thread

JJ,

When I lived in Port Angeles before I moved to Mount Vernon in 1994, the majority of people in Forks didn"t like fly fishermen so there is no surprise that they still don't for the most part. Also, when I lived in Port Angeles, a majority of Forks fishers didn't like those of us who practiced C&R, so there is no difference there either. However, the Forks folks not liking fly fishers or those who practice C&R didn't stop myself and the other fly fishers from Port Angeles (or even fly fishers from Forks for that matter) from fly fishing or practicing C&R on the rivers in the Forks area.

Fair enough for you to go fish there and not spend money in Forks. Continuing to go fishing on those rivers is far more important than how much coin you drip in Forks. Like Kush said, it can be very frustrating dealing with the politics of steelhead.

I do predict that there is going to be rejoicing by many of the bonk 'em all crowd until after they go out and bonk the single fish they can legally bonk. Then they will start whining about how they got screwed since they can only keep one wild fish. I still see many of the bonk all fish folks becoming C&R advocates because they will see the fishing improve.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:12 PM

I doubt this will reduce harvest that much but we will see. Moving from 30 fish to 5 fish didn't reduce harvest very much but I hope I am wrong.

I am very disappointed that Van was the one to purpose the compromise and that there wasn't a vote to keep the moratorium. I just listened to the whole conference call and not once on their did the AG's office tell them they had to rescind this, it was just not sticking to the guns. I really think we had the votes to uphold the moratorium but as usual politics over rules the majority.

JJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.