#1 ·
With an offshore application in mind...
Less philling/Tastes great?! :confused:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
TubeFlyTool...

Thanks Doc...
Just trying to turn a pile of pheathers/phur/phlash into something tastey!
Tubes offer some interesting possibilities...
I found a very well conceived tool that quickly converts any standard vice into a tube fly vice...
The "inexpensive" knock offs don't sport the required RIGID mandrells and are a disappointment...
Do it right/Do it once! :wink:

Attachments

#4 ·
I've got the attachement shown, but have never been successful in the removal of the tube. I think I torque the thread too tightly.

#5 ·
Don't know your own strength!

Repeated tight thread wraps can/will compress the tube and make removal from the mandrell difficult to impossible...
I use light/medium mono thread (sometimes waxed nylon), don't wrap too tight, and secure as I go with head cement (more durable)...
Last winter, while on a quest, I found auto air shock tubing (which I cut to length) to be very stout and resistent to compression...fits the mandrell that comes in the HMH kit and it worksforme!
Haven't had any problems and I'm not looking back! :D

#6 ·
I shall be tying up a few of those for my Baja trip next month. From what I've been reading, ballyhoo are more prevalent inshore at the area we are staying at (Punta Colorada, East Cape), than the much vaunted Sardina which is 'el mejor carnada' in the rest of Baja.

By the way Pete, I'm still on the look-out for 'kevlar wear' for tanglin' with the marlin from the Yak :lildevl:

#7 ·
When a marlin sees you fishin' from a YAK...

and there's a danglin' bait...
He tells all his buddies..."WATCH THIS"...
...at that point, he has effectively caught YOU and it's too late!
The rest is a toss up and both of you may end up in the drink...
'Still sounds like fun! No matter what most cautious folks might think! :chuckle:

#8 ·
These tube mandrels are quite popular with the tube dudes out west but it turns out they are made downeast.

As Penguin states using a light touch prevents compression on nylon tubes. What's even easier is using lightweight aluminum tubes which prevents the compression problem. You can get really inexpensive tube at the hobby store - toy plane fuel line. The fancy atlantic salmon tubes have a plastic lining that bites into the keeper better than straight alum.

UK tube tyers leverage the weight of the tube to control depth.

Tubes are particularly good for beach fishing because they permit huge flies and replaceable hooks, a concern when fishing the dunes.

I also like tying big boilermaker tubes because you don't need to bury the hook in foam which makes it less prone to getting some lip.

Tubes rock for certain applications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.