fishing with a float tube - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2004, 10:27 PM

fishing with a float tube

ok..got a good one for you all. I frequently wear my neoprene chest waders in my float tube. Problem......my butt keeps on slipping; I have to continuously 'hike' myself back up. I have a U shaped tube. Anyone got any good ideas? I only weigh 150 lbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2004, 05:25 AM

wow, tons of looks and no replies. so i'll offer some sage advice: duct tape your ass to your tube! just don't flip!
Old 09-16-2004, 11:10 AM

I don't use a float tube but I have a stupid idea that might work. Tape/glue a thin strip/pad of foam to the seat that you sit in/on. It should help with the sliding.

On waders you will probably get lots of answers on what to buy. I prefer the cheaper the better one's and in a breathable kind with a stocking foot. I don't like the boot foot as the boot part is always to big for fins when in a float tube. So I use Hodgmans breathable stocking foot waders. Under $100.00

Just my nickel.

Jim
Old 09-16-2004, 05:31 PM

Try taping(duct tape) a piece of foam "carpet underlay" to your current seat material, usually available at your local carpet installer shop.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:31 PM
JD

Float Tubes

I've spent a lot of time in float tubes. And I can testify that you are not alone in the slipping down, hiking yourself back up scenario. I think it's just the nature of the beast. Try changing the amount of air in the back rest bladders and see if that helps.
I've had both neoprene and breathable waders so I can tell you, it aint the waders.
What I have done to my tube, although for different reasons, is add a 2 inch thick piece of closed cell foam to the seat. I cut it in a D shape and sized it so that it fits tight. So tight that it keeps the sides of the tube from coming in and the seat from sagging. (Cinch up the strap between your legs and the cross bar)
If you have one of the tubes that has no cross bar nor strap, I feel for you. I tried several of those when they first came out. I always felt like I was going to slide right out of the darn thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.