Best fishing city in US? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Law Student

Send a message via AIM to brooklynangler
Best fishing city in US?

Gents--

Yours truly is going to go to law school next fall. As much as I am interested in the law, I am also interested in moving to a place with great fishing. Having lived in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Pittsburgh, and Silicon Valley--- I'm ready for something good.

I'm looking at schools in:

Eugene, OR
Portland, OR
Seattle, WA
Portland, Maine

Best fishing? And I'm thinking trout, steelhead, salmon. But I also love coastal surf fishing...

2nd Question---

BEST city in the US for fishing??? Overall.

Look forward to your collective wisdom.

The once brooklyn angler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2004, 09:33 AM

Of those listed, the only city I have lived in is Portland, Maine. As far as fisihng goes, it will be hard to beat. Within a 60-90 minute drive from my office in downtown Portland, I was able to fish for largemouth or smallmouth bass (big ones, 55 minutes, any number of places), landlocked salmon (not so big, 55 minutes), brown trout & brook trout (not so big, 45 minutes), stripers and bluefish (good sized, 20 minutes in Casco Bay, 60 minutes in the Kennebec River).

When you could still fish for atlantic salmon in Maine, they were only 2 hours and 45 minutes away in the Bangor-Brewer area. You can still fish for atlantics, but the drive will be 6 hours to the Miramichi in NB or 8 hours to the Matapedia in Quebec. Friends and I used to leave our offices on Friday at about 5pm EDT, roll into Doaktown, NB at about 12pm ADT, fish all day Saturday and until about 4pm on Sunday, leave and be back in Portland in time for a good night's sleep.

BTW the U of Me Law School is a good one as well.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Law Student

Very cool!

All year fishing, or do the rivers freeze over most winters???

Thanks---
Old 09-24-2004, 10:17 AM
LBFF Mojo

I would go for Portland, OR. Oregon fish returns have been on the rise and they manage their fish with a little more foresight than I feel Washington does.

You would have year around fishing for steelhead with many excellent rivers close by:

Sandy, Deschutes, lots of SW washington streams and columbia tribs. A lot of the coastal rivers in Oregon are supposed to have some outstanding steelhead fishing as well.

The N. Umpqua is close enough for weekend trips in the summer.

There are also some really good trout lakes around with big fish that are only a 2 hour drive away. The deschutes also has excellent rainbow fishing to go along with the steelhead opportunites.

Most all these rivers have salmon as well and a lot of them.

The John Day river which is right next to the deschutes is one of the best smallmouth rivers in the lower 48.

For a hardcore steelhead fisherman in the lower 48 I do not think you can beat portland if you need to be close to a major metro area. Plus Portland is a pretty cool town with good public transit and traffic is not bad, especially compared to the seattle area.

-sean
Old 09-24-2004, 10:42 AM

There is no year-round fishing in Portland, Maine, unless you like ice fishing.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Registered Spey Offender

I'm with Sean. I live in WA, but would like to immigrate to Oregon. The fisheries are managed a lot better.

Matt Burke
Old 09-24-2004, 12:50 PM
Law Student

Rock on

dudes--

This was what i had hoped. Appreciate it sincerely! any mushroom hunters out there???
Old 09-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Hey BA

Just a few thoughts. Portland rocks - I agree that it's either #1 or #2. Another reason is it's proximity to Washington's Olympic Peninsula.

One of Seattle's advantages is access the above and closer to BC. Either will offer you year-round fishing. Either one will give you lots of choices for winter/summer steelhead, coho and chinook salmon, searun cutthroat, lake fishing for trout, large and smallmouth bass.

Don't know about Oregon, but I'm also looking forward to throwing a few big feathery monstrosities for the Tiger Muskies that have been planted in 5-6 lakes in Washington too.

Hell, you'll ~never~ graduate with the year-round fishing available in the PNW.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:46 PM

Portland?

Portland is godawful, so please don't come out here.

But if you insist on coming, please know that there are indeed mushroom hunters around--just got about a pound of boletuses on my bike ride home from work last night. My advice, go to Lewis and Clark Law School, become an environmental lawyer, sue the socks off of everyone who even looks crosseyed at our rivers, and fish like a madman. There are worse plans.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:40 PM

If you can handle being away from the coast there are lots of other possibilities like your own NY state for example, Syracuse or Ithaca. I think NY stocks the hell out of every puddle in the state. I have friends there who do very well in the spring with morels. I suppose Michigan would be good too. How about Madison, good uni good fishing. Montana - no, there is no good fishing there, not sure about the universities. Princeton, you can fish stripers and bluefish for a good part of the year.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:50 PM

Or Boston Metro!

1hr to Cape Cod (May-Nov)

40 min to North Shore, Plum Is, etc (May-Oct)

1 hr to good C&R trout streams, although mostly stocked (year round)

There are a few decent colleges around here, I'm told.

However you will have to get accustomed to traffic hell and Red Sox fans
Old 09-24-2004, 04:28 PM

Well in Eugene, Or your a hour from the Columbia river systems (sandy, Deschutes), a little over an hour to the Umpqua, etc. And that doesn't even bring the coastal rivers into play .. or the Rogue about 2.5-3 hours south by freeway.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:06 PM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
I know it's not on your list, but.....

UOP's McGeorge school of law is an outstanding, highly respected institution (used to work there) in Sacramento that sits minutes from the American river, having runs of stripers, salmon, steelhead and shad. Nearby is the Feather river, 90 minutes to the SF Bay and the Sierra Nevadas.The city is getting too big, but still not terrible like SF and LA. I too want out of the city bad and into Oregon. Anybody in Oregon looking to hire a Teamster?
Life is but a walking shadow. A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury!! Signifying nothing. May as well go fishing!
Old 09-24-2004, 07:03 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Konch Republic...

Sell all your winter clothes...
Throw out all your neck ties...
Get a good blender and some sandles...
And move to the Key West!
Old 09-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Law Student

Good points all!

Good points and thanks...

UNfortunately, no law school on Key West. and my wife would lose her mind. At least in the other suggestions, she'll have something to do whilst I'm fishing and studying.

Sacramento is a great idea.

Thanks
brocktown oogler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.