Fly Fishing Forum banner

Slow day

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jfbasser 
#1 ·
Only two fish, zero on the outside , two on the inside, 20 and 31.The 31 was one of my best fish this year comimg in 8" of water. All the fish on the outside were off the beach and the boat action was hot but only wishful thinking from shore. The inside had a fair amount of fish but with the wind it was less than ideal.

Craig

#2 ·
Any bunker running the shallows yet? They are doing it over on the west side (sound). Things should pop any day now, I saw two good shoals take the wrong turn two weeks ago and a big push of bunker on the outside with fish all over them last Tuesday.

#4 ·
Craig... I did not go out yesterday because of the wind... and I made my annual stoll though Chatham center.... but today was awfull on the outside. I just went from 8:00 to 11:15...the boats were catch just within sight...but NO fish along the shore... but then again it was an incoming tide... and most ,if not all my success is on the drop. I was going to go inside ...but was too lazy today. Some guys were heading to NM... the wind was picking up and it was hazy...not my prime location on a day like today.

#5 ·
We started on the bayside for an hour or so, picked up a few schoolies then went to South Beach. Wanted to show my brothers father in law the Chatham scene. Fished the surf for awhile- no signs of life. Crossed over to the flats by the bar a ways down from the drop off and saw fish immediately. Not a lot, ones and two's, but all nice fish in the 30 to 36 inch range. Able to get off just a couple of reasonable shots but no cigar. The wsw wind made sighting tough before they were on top of you. Outta there on the 12:15. Not a bad morning in spite of the wind and my guest was totally happy with the outing.

#6 ·
Fred...

and then did you drive the Land Rover down Main Street to meet up with Biff and Buffy for a doublehalfcaflattemocha on ice and discuss phashion phaux' pas?! :razz: Sorry...got you mixed up with the Mayor for a second...

JUSY KIDDING!!!
...I saw the trees blowin' and decided to lay low until the crush of tourists all covered with oil subsides... Dawg Daze :rolleyes:

#8 ·
Bunker in the channels for the most part but I did see small schools in the eel grass around the corner from the drop off. Two weeks ago I was on NM and the bunker were on the SW flats. Any small fly in the box and fish on... some big fish in the mix but 32" was my best. Anything over 3" and the fish were not interested.

#9 ·
South Beach flats

I was on the flats Sunday. Visibility was tough due to the wind and the boat wakes. Spooked quite a few fish that I never saw coming until I almost stepped on them....I was able to land 2 schoolies by 10:30 on a sand eel. I jinxed myself by starting to think it was going to be a good day. Landed 1 more around 1:00.

LOTS of good shots but I could hear them laughing at me as they bolted off. Quite a few times I had a fish swimming right at me. I'd get a cast in front of the fish without spooking it, let the fly settle and wait for the striper to swim up on it. As soon as I moved the fly the fish would bolt. This kept repeating all day. It was frustrating but I did see a lot of fish.

#10 ·
Pete,
As a matter of fact, we did cruise Maine St but I left the Rover at home. Had the land skiff, 200K miles Honda with the custom dents (courtesy of my son). I was stylishly unstylish with my iron free (I didn't say wrinkle free) fishin togs (the JFBasser look). We cruised through town with noisey exhaust (muffler fell off today on the way to work), moonroof open and jock sniffer talk radio blairing.
Biffy and Buffy weren't impressed.

#11 ·
JF Basser Look

:biggrin: I will be opening a "Krinkle Toggs" Outlet on a side street off Main just in time for next years fishing crowd. We will have special sizes for the likes of the Mayor (expect that the Mayor will be near 300# by next season :D ). We will also have an undergorund garage to keep the "notsostylish" vehicles out of sight :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.