Any video camera buffs out there? - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2004, 09:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to IronMike Send a message via Yahoo to IronMike
Got my TRV900 from Profeel (www.profeel.com), nice people, great price, wasn't grey market. Lots of people got theirs from www.onecall.com, but you have to, ummm, CALL, don't try to do anything with them on price over the web.

Great site for info about the TRV900, but also LOTS of info about cams in general. http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/

B&H is a great place, very reputable. Concerned about the (-) reference to Chasidim, who also run the best run places in NY as well, including the ones above.

FWIW, the (albeit) low resolution stills I take with this now 6 year old (3CCD) TRV900 have better color accuracy than most 3-4 megapixel digital cams. Several shots I've printed to 8x11 and look great. Not film quality and I won't even claim "close", but still very very nice. The still feature requires very little cost above what they've already put in these things - it's a gimme for marketing I'm sure.

Check these out: http://www.vfs.com/%7Epeter/

Last edited by IronMike; 09-01-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 11:38 AM

DVD vs Tape...

Are the small camcorders that use a Disc worth trying for just general purpose around home and camp?
Old 09-10-2004, 07:24 PM

Check out your local cable company, I remember many years ago we had access to professional studio quality camera, rolling tripods, video switching racks and lights. It was a long time ago but I know the local channels still broadcast, you may be able to sign out some top end equipment por nada. You may be required to take a course at the local studio.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Wide angle--- most consumer cams' lenses are not wide enough. A wide angle (WA) adaptor is recommended. Spend the extra one on one with a glass lens. Any current cam will have the ability to accept a WA. The lens screw of a camera may have a diameter of 38mm. You'll match that diameter to the range of WA's (and adaptors if your cam uses an odd size) available. Very simple and easy.
Joe -

What are the specs I should be looking for on these WA glass lenses? For instance I see one with .45X... what is the best general power for taking casting video, in your opinion (which I totally trust!)

JimW -

that's a great idea I have been thinking about that resource for a while now especially for free access cable programming of volunteer kids events in the community etc.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to IronMike Send a message via Yahoo to IronMike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight
Are the small camcorders that use a Disc worth trying for just general purpose around home and camp?
Probably what they are ideal for, "snapshot" quality video. It's heavily compressed MPEG, but it sure is nice to pull a DVD out of the camera and slip into your home player! Only concern I'd have is longevity of DVD's as an archive media (not proven yet), but tape isn't much better anyway .
Old 09-12-2004, 08:45 PM
Law Student

Send a message via AIM to brooklynangler
Wa

Juro--

Anything below .3 is going to start to "bracket" the edges--- the fisheye effect. Check what the manufacturer sells for a WA adaptor and then get one from a high quality competitor in the same power (XX.x)- Century Precision Optics or some maker in that price range--- crappy WA adaptors truly prove the Garbage In/Garbage Out theory.

ADDENDUM: For casting, you should figure out the XxX' area that you think you want to shoot and give me that info. I can then figure out the lens needed at a particular distance with the aim to resolve a particular size object (we CAN figure this out since the granularity- lines of resolution- is fixed.)

That said, there is no way to do a casting video well and have only one view of a cast. You'll need either multiple cameras trained at various Field(s) of view and/or multiple takes with different lens Field of Views. And PLEASE forget about zooming during the shot. Far too much visual info for the viewer to decode.

Keep me in the loop- happy to help.

Always happy to help.

Another thought for production facilities is to talk to the communications dept or film/video production depts. at any of the universities near you. The kids at these places are ITCHING for something interesting and they might do it for credit as an internship and provide you not only with the equipment, but the ability to let someone else worry about the tech details so you can make a great product.

Others--

Those Disc cameras are not a good way to go for anyone because they use expensive media, use non-standard compression and transfer schemes, and do not "play well" with other related technologies. Steer clear until they are the standard (3-4 years)

Cheers-

Last edited by brooklynangler; 09-12-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ended up with the Panasonic GV70D (3 CCD) for a steal, very happy with it.

I am now looking at wide angle lens and polarization filters.

Question:

Can I screw on the polarization filter and gang up the wide angle lens on top of it as needed?

My other circular polarizing filters have threads on the outer rim so I assume this is possible. I guess what I am asking is has anyone actually tried this?

thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.