CT Fishing Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2004, 10:42 AM

CT Fishing Report

Over the last two weeks the bluefish in the Norwalk, Stratford, Bridgeport area has been on fire. All you need is to look for the birds. Not hard to spot them.. they are everywhere.

Last week I tangled with a 12.4 lb blue on a 7wt!!!!! What a BLAST! That was the largest fish of the day with a minimum of 2 dozen more in the 3-6lb range. All caught on Crease Flies and White Foam poppers.

This past weekend was more of the same with pleanty of real nice 10lb+ fish to keep you on your toes. To find the bigger fish just look to the outsides of the blitzing schools or 10-20yds off the smaller ones. Seems the big ones are lazy and are slurping up all the carnage left behind from the little ones. Also it pays not to be hypnotized by the huge expanses of frothing whitewater and diving birds ( I know its hard ). Give your arms a rest and paddle, wade or motor around a bit. Often I have found some great action with no indication of such. Example was a 9.8lb bluefish I landed while just putting about and noticed some funky V wakes... low and behold a 40ft area of good sized blues just lazily swimming around.

The highlight of last weekend was watching an entire stretch of Beach light up with blues and bait. Bait beaching itself to escape and the blues in such shallow water thier backs were out of the water. This was at least 150yds of beach filled with so many blues you could walk accross them. It was amazing to watch and almost deafening to listen to. Without exaggeration I would estimate 300-500 birds if not more diving and squeeling for well over an hour. So thick you couldnt see the sand anymore. Truely a nice sight @ 5am with the Sun a fiery red ball just hovering over the horizon.

For all those CT guys with yaks or are shorebound I would highly reccomend the Southport area with a strong emphasis on Sasco Creek and beach. There is also some nice stripers being taken there in the Pre-Dawn hours as well as some Bonita near Sunken Island and Norwlak Harbor.... the Bones may fool you into thinking they are a school of blues so dont pass up anything you see... take a few casts just to double check.

Tightlines
SteelheadMike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2004, 10:59 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

Awesome report!!!
Old 08-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Shorebound on the Sound

Great report Mike!

Short Beach (Stratford) and the Audubon Center in Milford have been good from shore as of late. Nothing huge but lots of Blues and some Bass. Best bet seems to be evening and early AM. Nonresidents can park at short beach for $5.00. Such a deal!
Old 08-30-2004, 10:48 PM

No wonder there are so few blues up north. Maybe the cold kept them down Rhodey. Ok I'm going to have to come down there with my grill, rack, and cajun seasoning.

Lefty
Old 08-31-2004, 01:16 PM

gong this weekend?

I'll be visiting the in laws in New Canaan this weekend.

Anyone interested in showing a visitor around in the early AMs?

I could drive up to an hour, which gets me as far as New Haven.

Not very familiar with that area...tried one of the State Beaches some time back without much luck on the one occasion that I was there.

Thanks,

mark
Old 09-01-2004, 09:39 AM

MarkS

Shoot me a PM. I may be headin out this Sunday. Not 100% sure but I may be able to take a break from moving and errands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.