South Beach- 8/23 AM - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2004, 01:58 PM
President of CAC

South Beach- 8/23 AM

Out on the 8 am for me...blue bird day... Middle outgoing.... tons of birds and everyone who owns a boat must have been off south beach this morning. Many Boats were in close.... A really good morning, Caught 7 good fish, one at 30, and another at 28... all the others were fat mid 20's... nice summmer fish... picked up one blue.... This was on the outside.... and I was back on the 11:15......Need to check out North Monomoy with the weather like this..... BTW..used my new 11 wt. Sage Xi2..just to practice casting. I made the mistake of asking the guys at Goose to put a 550 grain on a new reel...forgot to tell them the brand I wanted and ended up with a Jim Teeny.....I gave those up years ago because of the tangability of the running line... and sure enough a tangle on one in three casts... a tangle up and out though the guides. had to bring one fish in with a bad tangle... stoped the tangle at the rod tip and hand lined it in though the surf...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2004, 02:15 PM

John,
For all this time I thought that it was my feeble attempts at casting that caused all the tangles in my Teeny lines. What do you use that sinks as well but tangles less?
Buz
Old 08-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Rio Deep Sea is the best I've used for lack of tangling. I have also used some Airflo lines with killer running lines but I am not sure they are available on the market yet.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:20 PM

John,

Great report...glad to hear you hit them in the surf.

This is a major improvement from Saturday. Saturday AM the water temps
between the southway and chatham break were in the low 50's in shallow water (less than 20 ft). As we moved deeper we found warmer water and also the fish.

Sounds like this has shifted back around to the advantage of the wade angler.

Agree about the Teeny lines...they use a floating running line which is a major difference in density from the head.

I like RIO's the best (striper DC). Check the RIO 450 - sinks faster than the Teeny 650 and is quite manageable if you give it a good stretch first.

How are you liking the new stick so far?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:59 PM
President of CAC

Yes... I agree with both Juro and Dave.....Ironically it is the Rio Deep Sea that I have on my other reels....so I have them... and need to change it on that reel.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:03 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The Rio running line is thick and the line hammers it's way out there - but as far as fishing performance it gets down, it is beefy and it tangles less not to mention that the coating does not crack and break at the head like other brands.

Some brands with thinner running lines cast a little nicer with an easy stroke but when it comes down to banging a big fly out there the deep sea works great and is a tough line that lasts years instead of months.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Middle Aged Member

While some of the 555 series have played to disapointed audiences I gotta say I'm impressed with the 555 QD. I picked up a 350 gr last fall and a 300gr last week. The running line is thicker and slicker than the 444 QD. Has anyone else tried these lines?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:53 PM

I've been a big fan of the Rio DC Striper lines since they came out but the 555 QD line is starting to win me over. The 555 has a 30' head which I like. The running line is very slick and has very little memory. I hardly have to untangle it at all. When fishing from a boat I will probably stick with the rio because I can stretch it out on the deck and in that case the stiffness can help but when wading the 555 line is easier to handle. I've found the Rio line to be pretty durable but after a while the coating can crack and pull away from the mono core.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.