sili skin tinker mackeral - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2004, 05:39 PM

sili skin tinker mackeral

Just migrating the sand eel idea to another round bait, this time the tinker mackeral. Same basic construction as the sand eel just fatter. The material was a "blend" of unique hair and angel hair over large e-z body. Mirror flash was used to provide additional inner flash inside the e-z body. The blend was tied over the e-z body. Top of the fly was striped with a black marker, then sili skin the same length as the e-z body was wrapped over the blend, eyes added, and a coat of plasti dip applied to head and belly seam.

SteveF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tinkermac3.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	3625  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2004, 06:11 PM
fish'n Hobo

Another Beauty!
Question for you: how long is the fly and what size hook is it tied on?
Thanks Steve!
Old 08-22-2004, 08:50 PM

Jim,

The fly is 5 inches. It's tied on a mustad C68S SS tarpon 2/0. The hook has been slightly modified(old habit) by opening it up slightly, then turning it down working higher on the bend and towards the eye. It results in a shorter hook with a deeper keel. Must be done with round nose pliers.

Steve
Old 08-22-2004, 08:54 PM
President of CAC

Steve, I really like that one. I have a bunch of siliskin flats and have done some things but have not really expanded. A while back I experimented with various "Heads"... but I need to look into this more... anothewinter project.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:07 PM

John,

Make sure you've got multiple sizes of both e-z body and flexi-cord light. E-Z body for the rounder body types and the flexicord for rainfish/spearing body types. With your creativity, there should be some good stuff coming our way. I'll post one of the flexicord/siliskin flies later this week.

Steve
Old 08-26-2004, 11:31 PM
CantAnchorUs

Steve, please explain how you eliminate the overlapping seam that I allways have to stop the skin from snapping back and leaving a gap. This stuff makes some super peanuts! E-Z body in differant colors is nice too, the silver makes great silversides, the chartreuse looks real sharp with a little green topping.
Slinger
Old 08-27-2004, 06:23 AM

Steve,

It's not the overlapping that caused the seam to open up, it's stretching the sili skin when applying. I don't overlap the seam simply because I apply the sili skin by draping it over the top of the pattern then pressing it together along the belly of the fly. It just never gets a chance to overlap. Then I trim away the excess with very sharp scissors cutting front to back, back to front, and peel it away with my fingers. If I cut too close or have stretched it while applying, the seam will open up(when it does I just coat it and fish it). I make sure I cut over the shank using enough pressure to slice the sili skin but not enough to dull the scissors against the shank. I then coat the seam with plasti dip or softex. It just took a closeup to try to show you the seam of this fly. Overlapping might actually leave less of a ridge but I just don't apply it that way.

You're right that is makes super spearing(anchovy too) and peanut flies. I'll be posting some I've made using flexi cord for a scaled belly effect this weekend.

SteveF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forslinger1.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	3652  
Old 08-27-2004, 08:04 AM

Very nice.

I like the depth and volume of the belly.

Casey
Old 08-27-2004, 08:39 PM
CantAnchorUs

Steve, thanks for explaining, that last pic looks great.
Slinger
Old 08-27-2004, 08:46 PM
President of CAC

Thanks Steve.... good advice on the internal stuff....I want to do a series of very delicate bait fish for Monomoy Island. Yesterday, I happened to spy a fly of George Ryan, a well known guide at Monomoy. I was standing next to his client when his client asked him if he wanted the fly he was using back,,, he held it out.. I immediatly scrutinized it as best I could...George told his client to keep it...I felt like saying to the guy..."you will not need that now that you are done here... can I look at it".... But I know George and did not want to do that but I saw enough to let me go to work... The fly was no more than 2 1/2 inches long...but it did have an olive back.... perfect for the use of sili skin.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.