It was only a matter of time...... - Fly Fishing Forum
Member Profiles Introduce yourself!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2001, 04:39 PM
Fly chucker

It was only a matter of time......

I guess that it's about time that I finally hop aboard this message community. Let me start by saying that I am not by any means a flyfishing purist; rather, flyfishing is my most preferred method for pursuing gamefish. When the conditions for flyfishing are not possible, I will still angle using conventional methods. However, I think it's fair to say that my experiences have shown me that most gamefish can be caught fairly regularly with the long rod, so I use it for about 95% of my fishing.

I reside in central Connecticut. I grew up in Maine and have also lived in New Hampshire and Alabama for short stints. During my college years I worked as a guide for a service out of Portland, Maine during the summers. This afforded me the opportunity to explore some of the best fishing in the northeast, both fresh and salt. If anybody needs info for coastal or inland fishing in western Maine, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm always very willing to share info with other anglers. I also believe that there really aren't any "secret" spots left. If you think that you have a spot all to yourself, chances are that you're just not there when others are.

My move to Connecticut has given me a chance to fish some great water. While I like going after trout in the Farmington, Salmon, and Housatonic Rivers, I don't really like the crowds. Fortunately I'm more at home chasing warmwater species such as large and smallmouth bass, pike, etc., and saltwater species such as stripers and bluefish. I have already visited some prime spots in Rhode Island and can't believe the variety of coastal gamefish, even compared to Maine.

I tie all of my salt water patterns, and most of my fresh water patterns. It's a great way to pass the winter or to fill a gap in the inventory of one of my fly boxes. I also practice catch and release to preserve the resources that we have.

I look forward to sharing thoughts and information with all of you. You'll probably see me mostly on the striper and warm water boards, but not exclusively.

;-)

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2001, 07:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
Mark,

Welcome!

I grew up in Middlebury, CT...fishing farm ponds for bass. I miss it.

I picked up flyfishing much later, just before college actually, and that is when I got introduced to the Housy and Farmington. I learned to flyfish, fishing for smallmouth on the Housy. What a blast!! One of my first times fishing for trout was during the whitefly. It was out of control...again something I'll never forget. Had one great weekend on the Farmington a couple weeks back as well. Was driving up by the covered bridge this past weekend, but the levels looked pretty low.

Perhaps we can hook up sometime; I'm always looking for someone to head out with when I head down to visit my parents.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:53 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Welcome! It's obvious you have a broad spectrum of knowledge for the region. You're an asset to the group!

Look forward to getting out on the water with you.

regards
Juro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.