Late Housy Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2004, 07:57 PM
Flats Rat

Late Housy Report

I finally managed to squeeze a trip up to the Housy in last Sunday between way too much business travel. Atl east the frequent flyer miles are adding up

Reports of very high / colored water at Cornwall Bridge almost put me off until I remembered the lake above the Bulls Bridge dam actually fishes better under these conditions. The water flowing in at Kent may be the color of chocolate milk but a few miles further downstream the muck had settled out and there was a couple of feet of visibility. This is a yak/canoe/float tube stretch, so I dumped the yak in and paddled up to some holding spots that were good last season and wasn't dissapointed.

I had tied up a bunch of peanut crease flies and figured they looked like excellent smallie bait. First cast produced a smack from a fourteeen incher and I finished up with about 20 in the 12 - 14 inch range. There are bigger fish there but they weren't showing this day. When the water level rises, there is a more discernable current and the the fish move in real tight to prominent shoreline structure. The takes came within an inch or so of the shore so you needed to literally 'bounce' the fly off the rocks to get a strike.

Often times apparently "unfishable" conditions can provide some memorable opportunities. Best part is you have the river all to yourself
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2004, 08:49 PM
_

Awesome! Gotta love smallies on the fly rod. Any decent carp fishing in that part of the river? (You know I had to ask ).

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Fly chucker

Way to go Adrain.....it's tough to beat smallies on top.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Flats Rat

Q, there are lots of humungous carp in the Housie

They are well distributed but the only place I know where you could sight cast to them is no good unless the flow is almost zero. That won't happen again now that we have natural run of river but that really is a great development for the overall health of the river. I know there are lots of other good spots but I've not gone hunting for them yet.

It looks like temperatures have been kind to the trout again this year and with the natural flow and no more volume/temperature extremes from releases, we should have another excellent holdover season

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.