Raincoats? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2004, 08:28 AM

Question Raincoats?

Just curious here. What do those of you who live in rainier climes use for a raincoat?
In particular, is there a great difference in performance between the Patagonia SST and the Simms classic guide jacket or the new Guide 3? Thanks in advance for any opinions and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2004, 08:47 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've upgraded to Patagonia years ago and think I've hit the top of the food chain. Can't imagine anything better.

One note - there are lightweight jackets for summer and heavier breathables suitable for winter. For Patagonia, the deep-wader is a light jacket good even for humid rainstorms on the cape and the SST would be my choice on an Olympic rain forest river.

As with all brands, wash the metal parts after use in saltwater to ward off corrosion.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:52 AM
Junkyard Spey

Hey fishinfool...

Dan Bailey has a new rain jacket that you might check out. They are nice.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Rainy days

Here in the UK even in the middle of the summer you do not go to the river without being prepared for the rain. Now brollies whilst quintessentially British do not quite work on the river.

All of my wet gear; waders, boots, jacket, and vest are made by Vision. Not quite Harris Tweed or Barbour but very de rigour on the river. Barbour have been updating a number of their lines for modern fly fishermen whilst retaining some traditional style, and very nice they look too when modelled by some of my fishing companions.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:07 AM
Marine Scientist

I actually use a Columbia raincoat that keeps me bone dry even in torrential down-pours and has plenty of venting, as well as a removable polar fleece liner (which itself can be worn as a stand-alone coat). The coat cost me $100 at Cabelas earlier this year.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:01 AM

Wink Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies. Nice to get a variety of responses.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:44 PM

Patagonia

I have a Patagonia SST Jacket, its great, i have it in the spring, fall and vinterfishing... I the summer i dont were a jacket, if it not rain... The Patagonia Deep WJ is another superb jacket! its very light and nice!!!
Old 08-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisha1
I actually use a Columbia raincoat that keeps me bone dry even in torrential down-pours and has plenty of venting, as well as a removable polar fleece liner (which itself can be worn as a stand-alone coat). The coat cost me $100 at Cabelas earlier this year.
We all have different experiences but I wore the top of the line Columbia on a float trip with Andre and Ed Ward on the Skagit and Sauk and it soaked through after about 4 hours of rain. The fleece was soaked so bad I could pour water out of my sleeves if I squeezed them. I was miserable! If not for Ed's M&M's and hot coffee I would not have made it to one of the epic hookups of my angling lifetime.

Patagonia SST or Simms for winter steelheading... otherwise wear rubber IMHO.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Neil

Send a message via MSN to Havok
Eat Fish Wear Grundens

friends have used Grundens on the Bering sea and have said nothing but good about them.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:25 PM

Slight take off of this question: points of water entery.

What I've found is a 'rain coat' made of water proof material will probably keep you dry. Some rather better than others.

But if I'm going to get wet, it's usually water coming in around the 'cuffs.' Given 98% of my fishing is with a two hander your arms are always in a 'up position.' What's your thoughts on which jacket keeps your arms dry from the 'fingers down?'
Old 08-26-2004, 03:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Arm Seepage

Fred,
Most of the 'new' wading jackets have velcro straps so you can tighten the sleeve around your wrist. This is the case on my vision wading jacket which does a pretty decent job of keeping the water out, even when up to my elbows nursing a fish for release.

My wading jacket didn't make much difference when releasing a European sea bass and getting hit in the face by a big wave! Took me the rest of the day to dry off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.