Trolling Motor Help - Fly Fishing Forum
Propwash A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour... good times!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2004, 01:40 PM

Trolling Motor Help

I know nothing about electric trolling motors. I just got an electric start 9.9 for my tin boat and have a few bucks left over for a trolling motor. Is one brand better than another. What about transom vs bow mount. How much thrust do I need for a 14 foot tin boat with 600 pounds of cargo. I am most intersted in a bare bones motor. Thanks in advance.

Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2004, 07:57 AM

Brad,
I have a 15'6" Stratos bass boat that has a 40lb Minn-Kota bow mount hand control trolling motor on it. I have no trouble moving the boat when I put it on #3 speed and, when it's on #5, it will pull me thru just about anything.
I would recommend a bow mount simply because it seems easier to control the boat with, as opposed to a transom mount that will need a lot of input steering, especially when the wind is a factor.
Also, I only use my boat in freshwater, so that is another factor to look at. If you fish in the salt, look at a motor built for saltwater use, although it will be more expensive. Just my 2 cents... Rob
Old 08-10-2004, 10:08 AM

I also have a Minkotta electric, mine is 32# thrust and while it does not say for use in Saltwater anywhere on the motor I have been using it in the Salt for over 8 years. Mine is a stern mount (transom) and it moves my 16' Lund where I want it I suspect the bow mounts would be better for some applications but never having been around one I offer no advice. I usually stand in the back of the boat when fishing so its the logical spot for the electric for my operation. Wal Mart sells the Minnkotas and sell spare props and such.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:12 PM

Thanks

I got the Minnkota and it works like a charm. Amazingly strong thrust on high.

Brad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.