South Beach 8/10 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2004, 08:45 AM

South Beach 8/10

Not a bad day for August. Amy and I totaled 5 fish and she got her first "keepah" of her brief saltwater career on the flats Finally a fish that took out some backing. Fish were sighted sporatically all day, hindered somewhat initially by a thick fog that suddenly rolled in around 8:30. We each got additional hits, and each lost a couple as well. Except for the keepah....caught fish were 18 to 20 inch fat schoolies which were usually in a pod of 3 to 5 fish. Larger sighted fish were keeper sized but singles...many follows but no takers. Still a thrill!
Met FlyDoc on the shuttle on the way over....saw him fight a fish off in the distance Nice to see he finally provided the "medical care" he needed for himself
I provided the thrill of the day....seal attack!! Hooked a fish on the flats while standing in shin deep water....a seal torpedoed off from the edge and made a bee line to the fish.....he did a 3/4 circle around me about 10 ft away as I tried to turn the fish away from her....Amy "ran" over and scooted the seal away....fish and tackle saved An hour later, Amy had the same thing happen...I ran over and her keepah actually swam to me for safety. This fish obviously knew that we were "catch and release" humans and made the right decision...seal or humans It was a weird wildlife day...besides the seal events....Amy had a gull swooping repeadly at her casted fly.....we saw major crashing of baitfish by very large strippers in about 12 inches of water, if not less......active wildlife to say the least. Topped the day off with a seafood dinner....nothing like fermenting french fries in the belly for the 2 1/2 hr ride back home
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2004, 08:54 AM
Fly chucker

That sounds like a really great day. You're lucky to have a daughter who enjoys the challenges of that type of fishing.

Good on both of ya.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:55 AM

PS: My burrowing crab experiental fly was a failure....not that it didn't burrow...it never had a chance to try. Wanting to be as realitic as possible I made the shell concave in shape...this resulted in the fly sinking and resting upside down!!!!! So....I was succesful in designing a dead crab, who when it was alive....possibly burrowed
Anyone out there want some pretty hat or coat pins for their ladies????
Ron
Old 08-11-2004, 08:59 AM

I AM very lucky!!!!! Even a sunking day is fun. The secret was to satiate her on hundred sunfish a day fishing trips when young and creating a desire for something more
The great thing is that although I introduced her to fishing, she introduced me to fly fishing 3 years ago.......the gift of a lifetime!
Ron
Old 08-11-2004, 09:42 AM
President of CAC

Thumbs up

Great report Ron.... great day for both of you...sorry about the crab... maybe you can use it drifting in a strong current....I will be back on the weekend then the last two weeks of August into Sept.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ron -

Glad to hear your action was consistent with the "ticking of the clock" I saw over the weekend.

Congrats to Amy!

Juro
Old 08-11-2004, 12:27 PM

Juro....there was indeed a difference as you had previously described a couple of days ago. Although not in great numbers, they were around all day and interested. We had go go from area to area to find them based on stage of tide, but when we did, it either resulted in hook ups or consistent follows. Was nice for a change to be able to say....."start of incoming/ dropping tide/low/high/mid, they should be at".... and they were. All day....we never came upon a single or small pod, that didn't at least follow the fly. Going weekly this year has paid off for me in that I've had the time to study their habits more based on tide stage as opposed to my previous years'..."I once caught a fish here" strategy. It's nice to know that one can usually find fish at any time of the tide if one knows where to go.
No more being limited to go only at mid day high tides, I now actually prefer mid day lows..... less but better options for a day's fishing. At least that's my opinion at this stage of my education at SB University :-) Another 10 yrs. of "schooling" and I should know 1/8th of what I need to know :-) Learning, as you have said, is becoming THE goal of each trip for me...and as such, the day is always rewarding, fish caught or not.
I also tried the retrieve you described re your Italian client....twitch/twich/hop....made a difference....thanks for sharing it! Also got a couple on a dead stop when they seemed to hesitate after the second twitch. Now write your book and save us all 5 yrs!
Ron
Old 08-11-2004, 12:40 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Ron, great post and tell Amy congratulations. We both knew it was just a matter of time before Amy got her first keepah. As you know, I have two boys. They have caught a lot of bass, but no keepers. Is Amy available to guide them next month?

Simms
Old 08-11-2004, 02:35 PM

Hi Jim....nice to hear from you....let me know when you are going to arrive this fall, and if you desire company, I'd be happy to pick your brain again :-) PM me if interested re time/date/place. I will extend your congrats to Amy :-) As for her "guiding" your sons......neither one of us could match your knowledge :-) I must admit....Amy has the most unusual array of retrieve practices I've seen, and they work. Must be her years of experience with those finicky trout out West :-) She spoke of you yesterday and wanted to know when you would return. Her keeper was 30 inches and taken in a trough (sp?) at the edge of a narrow flat just before the low....just let the current drift it over the edge and bang. Of course...you know where that was :-) Hope to see you soon.
Ron
Old 08-11-2004, 05:59 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

South Beach 8/10

Ron,

It was a pleasure meeting you and Amy. I'm really glad to hear that you had such a great day together under such interesting conditions. I did pick up a single from the only school I saw...small, but very healthy and a lot of fun to see the whole thing.

I look forward to fishing with either/both of you sometime in the future.

Best regards,

-Doc

P.S.: BTW, I'm Doc Duprey (Ph.D. in genetics, working in clinical development of new pharmaceuticals). FlyDoc has the good fortune of being a local (Cape Cod) physician, whom I look forward to meeting.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:59 PM

Sorry Doc.....wrong "handle. Thus I will revise part of my post....you got in some "research" time Willing to hook up with you anytime and try and further man's understanding of the beasts of the flats :-)
Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.