Boneclave: Casting events after brunch (Sunday) - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

View Poll Results: I will participate in...
listening to the two-handed schpeel, try it maybe 5 33.33%
participate in the single-hand clinic 5 33.33%
will hang out and digest brunch for both 3 20.00%
rather chow and go back out on the water 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2004, 03:43 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Boneclave: Casting events after brunch (Sunday)

I'd like to hold two casting events after Sunday brunch before afternoon fishing:

1) Two-handed demo and intro

Sunday after the traditional brunch I plan to demo how the whole two-handed hoopla works on the beachfront at camp. Bring your questions and if anyone is interested in trying one I will have demo rods available. BTW - For just that breakfast break period please park boats clear 100ft either way around the path. Tide will be high.

2) Single-handed casting tune-up

We could all use an objective eye and suggestions for improvements to our casting. While we have a lot of anglers present, I suggest we have a casting tune-up on the beach for anyone interested.
Frankly, I am asking if people would allow me to work with you on your single-hand casting. I am certified for spey but not yet for single-handed casting, but am planning on getting that cert ASAP and am currently working with as many people as possible as part of my preparation. This type of interaction proved invaluable in my previous certification... kind of like a co-op internship.
Also, if anyone is certified or otherwise experienced at casting instruction, or would like to build up their instruction experience, let me know and we will work you into the team.

The objective of this is to offer suggestions to casters who might be open to other's advice, and to sharpen the observation / analysis skills of those with interest in instruction now or down the road. Win/win, easy going kind of fun activity that is directly part of our sport.

Please participate in the poll to give me an idea of the level of interest. I won't bother bringing the handouts and extra rods if not.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2004, 07:43 PM

I'd be very interested in seeing the two-handed rods in action and trying them out myself. I could use a few tips on my casting also. I could help out some if there are any beginners.

This all depends on the other people I am trying to make plans with about what days we can definitely go.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:55 PM

Awesome Jeff!
Old 08-11-2004, 04:27 AM

Talking

Juro I could use some single handed rod casting tune up . Count me in for that.
FishHawk.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:49 AM

Thank you Fishhawk!
Old 08-11-2004, 07:36 AM

Juro

count me in
Old 08-11-2004, 08:59 AM

I voted for the single, but only because I just attended the two hander. I have a feeling my passengers would like to take in the two hander demo and another look at it would help me too. I was amazed at how the two hander lesson pointed out my casting flaws. Having someone critique your casting can be very helpful and I also found that watching others helped me recognize what I was doing right and wrong. Correcting my cast is a whole other issue but at least I know what needs work.

There is of course no substitute for being critiqued by an expert like Juro. Thanks again man.

You can't catch 'em if you can't hit 'em.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:00 AM

Juro
Iwould love to do both a tune up and two handed demo.
Larry
Old 08-11-2004, 09:57 AM

Thanks guys in all honesty this is extremely helpful to me.

Jim, I consider an expert someone who can not learn any more, but I learn new things everyday so I must still be a dedicated student. These types of get togethers really help put the important bits into focus for both of us, a win/win.

If anyone else is interested in taking the FFF instructor route you should chime in. Even if you sit on a cooler and watch what's going on you are bound to see something worth noting about the way people cast, what you would do to enhance the cast, etc.

I figure this session will go for a little while after brunch, then we'll all get back to the serious task of fishing
Old 08-11-2004, 08:30 PM

I can do a clinic ...on how not to cast.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:05 PM
_

I'd be interested in checking out the two-handed clinic, and I know I can benefit from some guidance with my single-handed casting, but my attendance may depend on the fishing situation

BTW, there's no need to wait 'til Sunday to point out my casting flaws . I'm always open to constructive criticism!

Q
Old 08-11-2004, 10:50 PM

Well Friday's mostly scouting and discovery, Saturday's frenzied fishing but Sunday's got a little mid-day island time after the usual dawn sortie. After the incredible brunches we usually indulge in thanks to ssully and terry (and any helpers they need) there is a little digestion period. I figured that would be the best time to do something of this sort.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:24 AM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Well Friday's mostly scouting and discovery, Saturday's frenzied fishing but Sunday's got a little mid-day island time after the usual dawn sortie. After the incredible brunches we usually indulge in thanks to ssully and terry (and any helpers they need) there is a little digestion period. I figured that would be the best time to do something of this sort.
Sunday after brunch probably is the best time. I'm definitely looking forward to trying out the Atlantis, and I know I could benefit from some assistance with my single-handed casting. Still, it may be difficult to drag me off the jetty as I've only managed to make it to the coast a couple of times so far this year and have lots of catching up to do!

Looking forward to it!

Q
Old 08-12-2004, 11:35 AM

Thumbs up Just what the doctor ordered!

I signed up for the single hander event but I am in need of more/endless work on the two-handed techniques. This sounds terrific.

Skiman aka Pete
Old 08-16-2004, 03:36 PM

I just found out that I might have to work on Sunday, weather dependent. I will be around Friday PM, Sat, Sat PM and hopefully Mon AM. Apologies in advance if I have to post-pone.

I'd offer to do it Sat but the likelihood that anyone will be around mid-day is about the same as having sailors hanging around on board the first day of shore leave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.