The Awful Sadness of it All - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2004, 10:45 AM

The Awful Sadness of it All

On sunday, the 15th, I'm arriving in Newport, RI for my son's wedding on the 20th. I'll be at the Newport Bay Club & Hotel until the 22nd. I will be seeing old eastcoast friends, my wife's relatives from England and my relatives from California.

I'll be so close and yet so far from you guys.

Leland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

We'll be on island time at the Boneclave, and will be sure to toast your son's long and happy marriage. Congrats!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Flats Rat

Congratulations to your son & his new bride!

I guess as father of the groom, sneaking out for a few casts at passing Bonita will be out of the question

I'll do my best to catch a Rhody speedster for you
Old 08-10-2004, 12:08 PM

On second thought we need a plan... this man needs to be kidnapped before/after the family shenanigans to spend some time on the water. There's no way we can let a brother spend his whole stay in hardtail country shaking hands and window shopping on the waterfront.

Who is within striking distance of Newport and not going to Boneclave? We need to get Leland out on the water during his stay. Leland has done a lot for saltwater fishing in Western Washington state and is no slouch on the steelie stream either, inventor of the Miyawaki beach popper, and overall great guy.

It's anglers code - no family event shall go without at least one sortie...
Old 08-10-2004, 06:08 PM

Leland-
I'm in Newport, can't make the Boneclave, and would gladly have you on my boat after work that week. Drop me a note and we'll see if we can squeeze some fishing in around your social commitments. No need for you to bring gear.
Tim
Old 08-10-2004, 10:14 PM

Wow Tim, thanks for the generous offer! On wednesday, things will really crank up but monday or tuesday could work out for us.

My email address is: miyawaki@iswnet.com

Leland.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:20 AM

Works for me! I'll drop you a note w/specifics today.
Tim
Old 08-18-2004, 05:31 PM

Well, I managed to get Leland and his son out last night. We searched hi and low for the bonito, and maybe saw one pod out of all the blues we saw. Leland got to prove that his popper works just fine out here on the east coast , and the groom-to-be managed his first fish since he was little guy.

Fantastic company; Leland and Drew have to be two of the nicest guys I've ever met. It's too bad the hardtails didn't cooperate, but I'm glad they were able to get out on the water and catch a few fish while here in Newport.

Tim
Old 08-18-2004, 05:37 PM

Tim -

I talked with him briefly and he had the same to say about you - one of the nicest guys he ever met.

It's gestures like this that make the angler's world such a cool one - especially when you get a man and son together to fish on their wedding celebration!

Seriously, you da' man. If you ever get out to Seattle... he da' man out there!
Old 08-18-2004, 05:44 PM
fish'n Hobo

What a generous offer ......and a super result!
Hats off to you Tim!
Old 08-18-2004, 11:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to pcknshvl
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSt
. Leland got to prove that his popper works just fine out here on the east coast
Details, Leland?

Sounds like you had a great time!

Tom
Old 08-19-2004, 08:19 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hey way to go Tim,

You are an example of what makes the people and this forum so great to me. I think it's great that we can find others to fish with almost anywhere and share their knowledge of the fishing in their area. I look forward to being able to meet and visit with fellow board member from across the continent or the world for that matter. One of the great benefits of being a member of this forum.

Hats off to you, you the man...
Greg.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:33 AM
President of CAC

Thumbs up

Tim... great result and kudos to you!
Old 08-23-2004, 03:29 PM

I'm back home now.

Tim, I am indebted to you forever! You put my son the groom into a blue and I also was able to see my popper work in the Atlantic. I hope that I can get you into a fish that will mean as much to you as the one I saw Andrew catch meant to me.

It looked like the day we went out, tuesday, may have been the only good day last week. Everyday after was foggy, misty, steamy, and basically just plain weird.

We were to go out on an evening booze cruise on the Aurora friday evening but it was so foggy, we only cruised around for a half hour before we simply docked and drank. While at the wharf, a school of blues came in and blitzed next to an anchored catamaran. Earlier in the day, I saw a guy trolling a "pink worm" catch two stripers in front of the Regatta Club an hour before the wedding. Geezus, why would anyone want to leave the bay?

As for tuesday afternoon guys, Tim had us out at Sakonnet (sp?) Head chasing down blitzes. After my kid caught his fish, I was under a lot of pressure to succeed. I was making some casts on my forearm side (my backhand casts sucks cause I never use it) towards the blitzing blues when two of them began chasing my #2 grizzly popper. The lead fish nailed at the boat. All I had to do then was to make sure the line "spaghetting" off the deck didn't wrap my feet or foul the guides on it's way out and onto the reel.

Tim said it weighed about 8lbs on the Boca as he snapped the photo.

The doubled 25# Maxima that connects the stinger hook (Gamakatsu #2 Octopus) was chewed up pretty good and will make a good memento of the trip. A couple days later, I went into the Saltwater Edge and told my story. They may want you as a guide Tim!

Thanks Tim! You made my trip to Newport just about as I wished it would be.

Leland.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.