Sili Skin problems - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2004, 03:35 PM

Sili Skin problems

I just pulled out some Sili Skin to tie a few flies. I found the stuff to work with and very thin. I searched thru my inventory of Sili Skin finding two differnt thicknesses of the stuff. Some of the stuff is about double the thickness of the thinner material.

Anyone seen any differences? How do you take the thin stuff off the paper backing material without the skin bunching up?

Thanks,
Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Fluff

Rich, you're correct on two thicknesses.

Peeling almost always involves an X-Acto blade tip or single edge razor corner to start the peel. Decided after #1 'peel first, work second' disaster to map out bodies and cut profiles while the material was still on the backing sheet.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
Rich,

It's MUCH easier to cut your pieces first and then peel the backing. I start it in a corner using the point of my bodkin. Try not to stretch the material as you are peeling it ,because it tends to go back to it's original shape and will twist your fly's body.

Another tip: If you look online for directions on how to use Silli Skin it will tell you to cut the body shape for BOTH sides and wrap it around the hook. I found it a lot easier to cut a strip for one side, peel it, lay my hook on top of it, and then peel a second strip for the other side and position it on top of the hook. Hope this makes sense.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I hear a lot about building these flies - anyone care to comment on how they fish and catch? I will be playing with this innovative material soon but have been waiting for the hardtail season before getting into it.

thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 02:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
Juro,

They do catch fish but, you really should use a swivel in your tippet. If the fly is not totally flat (it twisted while being made)it tends to corkscrew. The shorter patterns cast Ok but the longer sandeel is hard to cast.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:06 PM

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the responses.

I find the thicker stuff easy to work with, but the thinner skin I never knew existed until yesterday; what a shock.

I found one source via Google which mentioned wetting your fingers before peeling the thinner Sili Skin from the paper backing. Yes, tried wetting my fingers and easily pulled the thin material from the paper backing without any issues.

I like the idea of cutting one side before removing the other side from the backing.

Again, thanks guys.

Rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.