Light Salt Rod Questions... - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 12:53 PM

Question Light Salt Rod Questions...

Hello everyone. First time to post! This is the best forum I have seen on the web. Below is a question I hope you more experienced guys can shed some light on.

1. Sage RPLX vs. TFO TiCr? I already have an #8 RPLXi but want either a #6 or 7 to take with me to the yucatan(small bonefish) as well as have something lighter to cast for smallmouth in the spring. Which would you prefer and why?

2. In regards to this if I do purchase the #6 RPLX would I overline it or not? I have not had the chance to cast the RPLX but like the RPLXi and figure they are most likely similar in action correct? On some other sites they have said that the RPLX is definitly faster. Is this correct?

3. On occasion my RPLXi seems tippy when casting next to the TiCr and wondered if the action on the TiCr is much like the RPLX action?

Thanks in advance for all of the help guys/gals!
tight lines,
Jaker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2004, 03:25 PM

One of my favorite 6wt rods is the 690-3 RPLX. The RPLXi is much softer and flexes deeper into the blank,,,,most Sage fans did not like the introduction of the RPLXi actions.

I have not overlined any of my RPLX rods, I have 6wt throught 11wt in the 3pc design.

The TFO TiCr is slightly heavier and slower than the RPLX in my opinion. The TFO rods are in the class of the St. Croix, Graphite II, IM6 series

One alternative is to test cast a standard 7wt rod with a long belly 6wt line. You may be surprised at the performance. For years I used a 790 RPL with a 6wt line and really liked the set up for smallmouth. If the rod is for occasional bonefish and mainly for smallmouth and largemouth the standard fast action (flexible tip) would be my choice in 7wt 4pc. In windy longer distance conditions use a 6wt long belly line,,,,for shorter distance and heavy Clousers or Bugger use a 7wt line. Find a used Sage 790-4 RPL (standard is all metal reel seat, good for saltwater) and you will have an excellent outfit.

Regards,
Fred Krow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.