Higgans Beach, ME - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 08:51 AM

Higgans Beach, ME

I went out with a friend from LL Bean this morning to Higgans beach to fish the mouth of the Spurwink river. The Moon tide created a rip that was gigantic. From the mouth of the river, the rip went out almost 1/4 mile or so clear as day. I fished it really hard with numerous sand eel patterns till about fish light. Not even a bump on my fly. I decided to head to the other end of the beach to fish the structure where the rock ledges are and my buddy opted to stay there. I guess that was his mistake !

With the minus tide, I got out to my favorite rock point and on the first cast I had a little 20 inch squirrel at the end of my line. Strip landed him and got him off and cast about 20 ft further out just over the wave that was about to soak me..... quick strip pause.. missed a nice fish. Casted to the same spot and hooked up. Big splash and run... Thought it was a Blue and was waited for my tippet to be fly free at any moment.... I pulled on the fish a bit to try and get him onto the reel and he threw up his fins and showed himself to be a beautiful 32inch striper. The fish ran me 30 feet or so into my backing as it ran out into the surf.... to make a long strong a little shorter....I got the fish into me and I got down to land him.... and I paid too much attention to the fish and not enough attention to the surf. .... I got absolutely crushed and swept of the rock into about 10 ft of wash, grasping rod and fish in one hand, and for my life in the other. I scurried back up to my perch and landed the fish. Nice fish.....

In hindsight I am glad of a few things:
1) Although I was soaking wet head to toe, at least I caught my first 30+ in weeks
2) Although I was soaking wet head to toe, my pack of smokes was empty.
3) Although I was soaking wet head to toe, I still have my rod and reel and I decided not to bring my digital camera today by some stroke of luck..or was it my typical 4AM forgetfulness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 09:33 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Glad to see you writing this with a sense of humor after the ordeal. I have helped anglers off rocks that did not fare so well after a big wave.

Congrats on the fish.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:38 PM

Juro,
Are you still headed up this way on business? or has that come and gone? If you are going to be up in the area drop me an e-mail. Always up for fishing!
Old 08-05-2004, 02:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Hey Casco,
Drop me a line if you're fishing the Portland/ Scarborough area this weekend. I'll meet you somewhere. You fished with my bro, Drew in Popham acouple of weeks ago. I'm always looking to fish with someone new. I fished Ferry Beach last saturday with Drew and met Fred A, he was up visiting family, and got skunked. I like the falling tide there but got there at dead low and fished some of the rise.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:26 PM

Hey Chris, You on call this week end? How bout you Casco fishin" this week end..?
Old 08-05-2004, 03:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Nope...

...Not on Call
and Brenda's splitting for the weekend again too. I plan to get some more fishing in though. If you're going to be around give me a shout. Here are the tides for
the Higgins Beach area.

Day High Tide
/Low Time
Sa
7 High 4:50 AM
7 Low 10:57 AM
7 High 5:16 PM
7 Low 11:37 PM
Su
8 High 5:47 AM
8 Low 11:49 AM
8 High 6:08 PM

Last edited by Chris; 08-05-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:10 PM

Depending what the surf does.. I will likely fish the falling tide on somewhere.. the weekends can be a pain in the neck in the scarborough area during the day. I will let you know. I am planning on trying to head to Popham tomorrow depending on the weather. I also have to do some tying for the bone clave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.