Go Figure ??!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2004, 05:27 PM

Go Figure ??!!

Figure this one out? Some of the forum masters have been out the last three days on both SBeach and NMonomoy and the reports back to the Captain have not been good at all.

Now today, we had people getting as many as 18 fish at N Monomoy in the crib area and another group did well at the North Tip. From what little info was shared, it was flies with the combo color of Green and yellow taking consistant fish. Crab and shrimp patterns refused all day.
Fresh sand eels did not even work over there today, but that color combo did !!!!

South Beach same story, some got nothing and others killed em'. One regular got a keeper on the first cast and two more fish and then that was it. The folks that made the walk to the tip and fished the rip on the very tip, slammed em. Had one group come in with 6 keepers for the grill tonight and another group report a mix of schoolies and keepers up to 21 fish for them. Some taken on bait and the others on flies.

Go figure!!!

Capt Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Well we all know that Monomoy is a melting pot for the extent of the southern currents and currents from the north, a convergence of the bluewater atlantic and the shoals of Nantucket sound, the great mixing pot of our region. My theory on this FWIW is that the handle on the pot got stirred by the recent strong south winds and with all the bait that's around some lucky anglers got in the way of the influx while others missed the flurry.

Mother Nature - keep stirring, KEEP STIRRING!!
Old 08-02-2004, 07:46 PM

Did you get a report from a couple of scruffy 50-ish looking guys who look like they haven't slept in 5 days? They should have each been lugging two-handers--they're from Maine and probably had no clue as to how to fish Monomoy. Give me the real scoop on how they did.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:50 PM

Sorry, can't break the Captain-Client priveleges and give out particular names.
I could not let myself be part of any friendly "Razzing"

Capt Keith
Old 08-02-2004, 09:12 PM

It is just spite

It's okay, Tom is just mad that he and I fell upon hard times on Saturday morning. We hit a bunch of "Prime" spots in southern Maine and the closest thing we had to a fish was a quck followfor Tom on the ledges... Absolutely miserable morning. South wind blowing at 20 knots. With the way the wind was blowing I wish I was ambidextrous I am really looking forward to my week at the Cape, first week in September Pray for no huricanes!
Old 08-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Flats Rat

A case of "......you shoulda been here tommorow?" i guess At least I got a good work-out walking the perimeter of SB.

I really can't complain - I just haven't put the time in out there this season. Yesterday was the first time this year I spent any time checking out the ocean side at low tide and there is some interesting structure down there for for when things really start to crank up. I think those who are prepared to 'sweat a few calories' will be well rewarded

I've also spent a lot of time fishing after dark this year and been incredibly well rewarded. Dog days? Maybe, but the nights are something else
Old 08-03-2004, 04:26 AM

Well there you have it. Striper U is a difficult school to graduate from. I like the early Spring and Fall classes. Easy fish. However in Aug. it's the Phd course. Now there will be a run on green and yellow material.
Wonder if the Iron Man will come up with the Green and Yellow Rip Ryder Fly?
FishHawk
Old 08-03-2004, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascoBay
It's okay, Tom is just mad that he and I fell upon hard times on Saturday morning.
You are correct! Those two guys were my brother and a friend. They were down in Eastham since last Wednesday. They picked up a lot of fish on some bayside flats which were filled with big sand eels. Some big blues mixed in as well. Based on what I'm hearing it seems the bay is fishing better than the outside.

Capt. Keith, no names needed just let me know what they reported so when I call my bro up later today I know what the "real story" was ahead of time.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
The real reason is that it was a Monday. The fish don't eat on the weekends anymore.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:38 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Green/Yellow Flies

Its interesting to note that color combination has been successful when others are not. In June, Rooster and I fished an area in Pleasant Bay with a couple of his buddies that used that combination outfishing us 3 to 1 with several over 30 inches. My buddies first keeper on Morris Island went for that combination, a 40.5 incher. Three guys from PA did well with several 30-inch plus fish on this combination on N. Monomoy, both sightfishing and blindcasting, while others didn't produce as well.

Most of the flies were attractor types, not specifically imitating sand eels or other baitfish, size 1/0 to 3/0. Go figure.

Simms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.