Wife schooled me today - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Thumbs up Wife schooled me today

Well after many weeks off the water I was able to get the boat out of the yard and down to the eastern parts of the sound again. I made plans with the wife to go and get her a real biggun' as she only was able to get one last year that went 33 lbs. We got to Niantic about 5:00 am. or so and while we were getting our stuff together I saw Blaine. I had to run back to the truck so on the way back down I stopped and said howdy. We chatted for a couple of minutes and then we were off. Headed on out the ramp in search of some big stinky shad, took a little bit but we found a nice family of them and before long we had our live well stocked for the fights. We got out to the reef about 10-15 min. later and within 90 seconds of dropping her bait my wife was hooked up. She landed a nice 20-25 lb. fish to start the day. I went fishless? Next drift boom she is on again, and again she lands a nice 20-25 lb. fish, again I go fishless? Next drift was a bit longer and I was ready to pull the lines to go back up and the wife says "I'm on....bingo!" Well this fish fights different than the first two, and it is giving her quite a tussle. My wife has been fishing for quite a long time so I left her alone and she just kept banging away at this large fish. I reeled in to be ready to assist when needed. She finally gets it to the boat and she says " Oh that's not very big" I tell her "you better look again.......It's a huge fish!" I grab the fish by the jaw with both hands and lift it up and out of the water so we can take a pic, she about fell over from shock when she saw it. Man was she excited and to tell you the truth I was even more excited. She finally got a biggun'!!!! It was 42.24 lbs. on the Berkely Digital and measured 48" and was rather fat. We tried for a long time to revive her but I think lifting her for a pic and the warmer water temps were just too much. My wife was stricken with grief because it didn't make it, but I explained to her that sometimes it just isn't meant to be and that we would put the meat to very good use for many meals. We totalled 9 fish altogether, her fish was the biggest of the day and the rest were all cookie cutter fish around 40-42" and 20-30 lbs. give or take. We never brought another fish onboard and just unhooked the rest at boatside which worked very well as all fish took off for the depths splashing us a fine goodbye upon release. It was pretty grey and dank and then the rain came in and it rained for the balance of our stay. At slack tide the birds started working real hard close by and we saw some splashes, we decided to rack our big sticks and go take a look. We got near the breaking fish and my wife says their just bluefish, but I knew otherwise as one of the fish came right out of the water 15 ft. away and had the unmistakable forked tail of a Tuna. I told her those aren't blues their Bonito.......YeeHaa!!! Well the wife proceeds to put the final nail in my fishing coffin, I rigged her up with a Deadly Dick and she proceeds to immediately hookup with a Bonito that goes screaming off into the next zipcode. She fought it for a little while on the light tackle but it finally shook the hook. She then proceeds to hook another on her very next cast, this one I land for her and it is her first Bonito ever. Beautiful fish and she was beside herself with joy. It was a phenominal day on the water with my wife and I could not have planned it any better, she absolutely had a ball and can't shutup about her monster fish. We had to stop and show the guy's down at the beach where I live just so she could rub it in with the old salts. She was in her glory . Just finished up the boat and I am spent, but it was all worth it to see the look on her face when I lifted that fish into the boat. Blaine was nice enough to take a couple of pics of her holding it( thank you Blaine very cool of you to take a pic for us I owe you one buddy) out on the water so hopefully when he gets a little time he will post it for us to see, if not we took some regular 35mm shots and I will post as soon as we get them developed.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Fly chucker

You know it's a good day when you refer to 40-42" stripers as cookie-cutters.

Mike, my wife and I were heading south on 95 between Clinton and East Haven in that nightmare traffic this afternoon around 2:30 when we passed you. If you saw someone in a red Pathfinder rubbernecking as they passed, it was just me confirming my suspicions that it was you pulling that boat.

Good news on the bonito!
Old 08-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Mike -

Awesome day on the water with your better half... and I didn't mean that in a fishing sense of course

You da man.

BTW to boneclavers... I am starting to think we are right on the money this year for greenbacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2004, 10:02 AM

Here is the wife with her biggest bass ever. 42.24 lbs. 48" long and fat.

Mike M.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:04 AM
President of CAC

Thumbs up

Too Much Mike... Great Thread!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

Wow, that's a keeper!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:06 AM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Wife schooled me today

My wife wants to know when she can get together with your wife for some fishing! Said something about it being "about time somebody showed you guys how it's done" or something like that.

Congrats!

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 08-02-2004, 11:10 AM

Quote:
My wife wants to know when she can get together with your wife for some fishing! Said something about it being "about time somebody showed you guys how it's done" or something like that.

Funny my wife said the same thing to me!!!

Mike M.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Marine Scientist

Ye gads! That's quite a fish!
Old 08-05-2004, 01:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Yup a keeper... and this bass is nice too!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.