Farmington River, 7/30 - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Fly chucker

Farmington River, 7/30

With all of the talk about how great the fishing is on the Farmington River in CT this year, I decided to check things out on Friday evening. It didn't disappoint.

There was a steady hatch of potamanthus mayflies in one glide, and although the fish seemed to be switching back and forth between the emergers and duns, I managed to land a few trout around 12" by fishing a dry and picking my spots. This was challenging angling, as most of these fish have been caught before and require a PERFECT presentation. Even a whiff of microdrag meant a refusal. 8X tippet seemed to do the trick.

Just at dark, at another pool, things were quite hectic for about ten or fifteen minutes. I tied on an emerger and started to swing it in the current. This resulted in a few more fish, a pair of browns about 15".

I didn't catch anything huge, but I did see signs of some truly big fish working. Their dorsals and tails were showing as they worked the hatches, and naturally they were in a position that only allowed a second or two of drag-free drift.

Kudos to the Farmington River Anglers Association and other groups who help to maintain this river. Some oldtimers are saying without exaggeration that this is one of the best seasons ever on the Farmington, so the hard work of many is showing.
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2004, 08:02 PM

Mark, thats one of my favorite rivers. Glad it turned out well for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.