Shore fishing dropoffs? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2004, 03:51 PM

Shore fishing dropoffs?

Does anyone have any good tips for fly fishing drop offs from shore? I spent this morning on the eastern side of Wachuset Reservoir which has steep drop offs that continue into the warter where small mouth are known to congregate during the summer. The result was one small bass that I lost and the feeling that I wasn't effectively fishing the water. Beyond sinking lines, weighted flies & slow retrieves what would you do?
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Flats Rat

Each location seems to have its own "quircks and nuances" but drop-off edges do seem to act like magnets for fish to setup patrols along. Depending on what the current is doing, I like to work the flies parallel to shore right along the edge of the drop if circumstances allow - not really practical if its "shoulder-to-shoulder". I will also keep on the move if I'm not connecting at a certain point after a few casts. Fish sometimes get into a fixed circuit patroling a section of shoreline. Find the right spot and you could be in business for the next couple of hours. It happens a lot on lakes but I also see it at places like Quonny!
Old 07-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Fly chucker

I agree with Adrian. It would be best to work the fly parallel to the dropoff/shoreline, not out and away from it.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

As you probably know, the smallmouth will be hunting on the shelf in the late evening just before (and probably into) dark. I used to go to Sunapee with my family and where it could be tough to find a fish during the day the bass were hitting anything that moved along the overhanging willows in the evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2004, 09:13 PM

Thanks Guys.

Adrian, thats pretty much what I was doing mostly because the rocks continue up at a 45 degree angle from where I was and casting parallel suited the location. Next time I bring the full sinking line & dredge the rocks.

Juro, your right dawn or dusk would be better but I was exploring an area I hadn't fished before and wanted to try in full sunlight to see how deep it was. The end result was that I couldnt give you an honest assesment of how deep, or how fast it droped off beyond 6-8 feet off the shore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.