Cutts in the North Sound - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Registered Spey Offender

Cutts in the North Sound

Yesterday I Fished out in the salt at Howarth Park, less than 8 minutes from my place in Everett. I don't think the engine in my jeep even got a chance to warm up it was so close. I had been leery about fishing there before because of a large number of dogs swimming and defecating in the mouth of Pigeon Creek. Plus, looking north is the USS Abraham Lincoln and it just seems stagnate with very little structure in the water. I go out there all the time with my kids and I have never seen anyone else fish it. I whipped out the Sage 5120 and went for it. Man, that was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Just kind of worked my way along the beach and got a 10 inch Cutt. Kept on going then three more in the 10 to 12 inch area. There was a whole bunch of them flashing under the water, trying to work this bait ball. Then suddenly this seal pops up right in the middle of the bait and Cutts, sees me and took off in a hurry. Nothing after that, but man that was awesome for just a short little trip.

I hit it again in the morning. No Cutts this time with a little bait fish imitation so I switched to the infamous Miyawaki popper. I would cast out beyond the bait balls and work it. As the popper would come close or over a bait ball, all the bait would hit the surface like there was something underneath them. This happened several times, but no hits on the popper. What ever followed the popper in would nail a few bait fish and then Iíd cast back out and draw something in again. It seemed like my popper was good enough for attention, but when it saw the real bait, it would go after them. I may have made my poppers too bushy and Iím thinking they need to be a bit sparser, I just donít know. Maybe Leland can share some wisdom.

Matt Burke

Last edited by mattzoid; 07-28-2004 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2004, 01:36 PM
Jolly Buddha

Cool

Matt

Give KerryS a PM, he can hook you up in the lower Skagit

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 07-28-2004, 09:00 PM

Matt,

I've found that the popper is most effective in the absence of bait, when the bait is scattered or the predators outnumber the bait and are competing with each other. When casting into a bait ball, you need a fairly close imitation in both surface and subsurface flies. Also, you need to resist the temptation to strip fast like fleeing bait. Rather, you should act like a wounded cripple and wobble, wiggle, stop, feint, skip, and sputter. I try to cast at the edges of baitballs and play like I'm on my last few breaths.

We're gonna have some beautiful outgoing morning tides on friday, saturday and sunday. I'm gonna be doing some beachcombing.

Leland.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.