Hey OC, This reminds me of you... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Junkyard Spey

Hey OC, This reminds me of you...

"Ode to a Steelheader"

By Freeway Frank

Standing in the Clearwater up to my knees
casting a fly as pretty as you please.
Only trouble is I can't get out
cause I'm obsessed with steelhead trout.
The rain is falling on my bare head
my fire on the bank is almost dead.
I'm cold and hungry chilled to the bone
my thermos is empty my lunch is all gone.
The season is over it's done for the year
but come next fall I'll be right here.

Copyright by Michael Joe Cummins, Nov 1971
(All Rights Reserved)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Chief of E.P.

That was the old OC. Now that he is in love, he rarely fishes. We had a long discussion last night where I had to explain to him that "not being able to fish" and "choosing not to fish" are not the same thing. He had gotten confused but I am hoping my counseling will turn him around.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:42 AM
Junkyard Spey

Hey Mr. Tip...

Please use "mega therapy" on our friend. Maybe you can get him back on track by the time the fall season rolls around.
Since your rivers have warmed and the water is thin he is probably cruising the "Sound" with neked coffee girls riding the bow.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:58 PM

Sounds like it is time for an intervention, we can hit two birds with one stone.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:48 AM

Thanks MJC my friend for the nice poem. Yup, as Sinktip said, that was me and to let you know it is still me. But right now I'm being the same as always just in different areas.

My best fishing buddy ever, old sinktip is very concerned but he need not be. I still enjoy our fishing time on rivers across the NW. My visits out your way mean a lot to my soul and my ego. Nothing better than releasing 6 steelhead in 37 casts and fishing most of the time behind the Tip. Visiting with you and Linda, priceless.

I spent 6 years rebuilding that classic old sloop of mine her name is RC LOUISE. Now that she is in the water she has become alive and I need to know more about her. If you have never felt the rebirth of such a complex voyager before then you are missing an amazing journey. At six knots she comes alive, the vibrations, the sounds and the fullness of her sails set against blue skies or star light on the darkest of nights is truely a trip.

Oh yes I am in love not only with RC Louise but the most beautiful of women, (Sparky eat your heart out). I don't know how I got so lucky being the old sarcastic crank that I am. But we are in love and that is what counts. We talk of sailing the Pacific in the not too distant future from island to island. She is a doctor and I am in water quality and there are programs for both of us out there where we could sail from island to island and be of some help to the different peoples of many far off places. She is as far left as I am, maybe more. She could be as happy being a shed girl as I could be being a shed boy somewhere outside Port Townsend. We could hang out with Moonlight and that would not be so bad between long journeys.

And to let you know she is concerned with me not fishing as much and insists that I go more. She wants to learn to fly fish and even understands that I will not teach her to fly fish for steelhead untill she learns to fish for lesser fish first. She will be happy just to come along and sit on the bank and observe what the river has to offer. That my friend is an incredible woman, so as you can see I have not forgotten how to fish. I still have the desire to fish and with friends but right now there are other things to do that are as equally important to me at my older age of 52. I am trying to re-establish the boy in the man as the dominate person. Too many years trying to keep up with the Jones's in the world of materialism so prevelent here on this continent. Looking forward or hoping to fish with everyone here at flytalk someday even SS. No not SS.

Thanks for the poem I will hang that up in my office and at home as a reminder of fishing and friends.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

OC,

What a wonderul post. I have never met you but your post put a big smile on my face and I wish the best for you and both of your ladies. Life can be very good.

Kerry
Old 07-29-2004, 11:09 AM
Junkyard Spey

Hey KerryS...

Quote:
What a wonderul post. I have never met you but your post put a big smile on my face and I wish the best for you and both of your ladies. Life can be very good.
I very much agree with your quote above. Just think how much safer it will be for you coast guys to go steelhead fishing. If OC and his new loves are frolicing around in the Pacific you boys won't have to worry about any of those "jungle warfare" booby traps it is rumored he sets along the rivers.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:12 AM

OC,

Great post.

Hey if you want to have her learn to steelhead fly fish there are guides out there that do steelhead fly fishing schools you should get her into one of those.

JJ
Old 07-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Junkyard Spey

Hey JJ...

That was very good.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:49 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Talking Can you Feel the LOVE??

JJ - I had no idea you were such a #%*!. Must be a side-effect of hanging around with that nefarious character Sinktip.

Maybe we can suggest ~she~ buy OC a trip to that guide's Steelheading School for their next anniversary - with OC's decreasing time on the water, he'll probably be in need of a refresher course from a real ~professional~.

Hard Hat Mode <on>

DS
Old 07-29-2004, 12:53 PM

DS,

Definate side effect of the company I keep. Used to be a nice mellow guy now I am kind of a jerk.

The anniversary gift idea is a great one.

JJ
Old 07-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Pullin' Thread

Hey DS,

Those of us who know OC should chip and and secure a spot in said steelhead school for both OC and his lady so she learns steelheading the right way. Also, we must make sure OC has her use the SS Pink "wonder fly" while he uses the Cop Car, since it has been rumored these are the two best steelhead flies ever tied.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:36 PM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
The 1 key to happiness

Quote:
I am trying to re-establish the boy in the man as the dominant person
AMEN!!

As age leaves behind that internal drive to be "The Man", (Top Dog, Bad Ass, whatever you want to call it), being happy means reuniting yourself with that kid inside. The kid who had fun way back when because "IT" was fun, whatever that "IT" is for you, without worrying about what anyone else thought. No Jones's to try to keep up with (never liked them Jones's anyway), no levels of class to be upheld. I think it's the only way to be a happy old dude rather than a grumpy old bastard. I strive to be a big ol' kid!

Power to ya OC
Life is but a walking shadow. A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury!! Signifying nothing. May as well go fishing!
Old 07-30-2004, 09:06 AM

God, guys you are all really thoughtful. Russ, JJ and DS I can't thank you all enough for the anniversary steelhead school gift certificate. I'm also glad that the three of you got 40% off the price of the school because you are 3 time graduates from the school. And you know the tip and I were just talking about that the other day and he commented how the three of you all have that similiar unique style made famous in the school. Keep up the good work guys we know you some day will be ok steelheaders, just read your lesson book and above all listen to your teacher.

You know I had dinner with Mike Moore last night over in Columbia Point and we were thinking about doing a docudrama of flyfishing in the NW called,"The Last Cast to Steel". It's sort of a political expose on why steelhead have gone to hell in the last 25 years. I think Russ, JJ and DS should be in the film.

I've renewed my love for steelheading by going out the other day and buying a new 7wt, DT, F for a reel I can't even find. Does anyone have that reel? If you used it please bring it back.

Moose and Kerry, thanks for the kind words the both of you are true children at heart and that is a good thing. We will fish some day.

Hey JJ, are you using a hook on your swing? I know they teach that in the class you think you would know that lesson by now.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:43 AM

It takes skill to land a fish without a hook point. It can be done.

That is a graduate level course though.

JJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.