need a good top water fly - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2001, 07:41 AM
Recent Member

need a good top water fly

Hi, I am going to be in Chatam this weekend and have a hankering to try some of the topwater action, (if any). Does anyone have a good pattern that they are willing to share? Can be for blues or stripers. Thanks Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2001, 09:11 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I'm sure others will chime in bbut here's my take:

three ways to go:

(in order of difficulty)

deer hair
closed cell foam sheet / gurgler
livebody foam

BANGER:
Livebody foam comes in a cylinder, poke a hole thru with a bodkin. I push the eye of a long shank hook thru first to test things out. If you use the kind with the humpback (hook) don't test first and poke a bigger hole. Anyway, Wrap a layer of thread around a long shank hook and a drop of zap a gap and work the hook thru the foam. Decorate the sides as you like and coat with a thin layer of epoxy. Turning wheel is a plus.

GURGLER:
Gurgler is essentially a tail, crystal chenille body, with a doubled over pc of foam sheet (craft store, couple bucks). Pretty easy tie but doesn't make as big a distruption as the banger.

DEERHAIR head patterns:
Dahlberg diver, for instance. Not a popper but a very good surface-oriented lure, you can play around with deer hair and make all kinds of topwater flies if you know how to spin it already.

Oops forgot:

SLIDER:
Most of mine are variations of Page ROger's Slim Jim. Use livebody foam as in banger but narrower. The preformed popper bodies are good too. You can make a nice dahlberg diver pattern using the conehead foam bodies backwards.

check the archives, there must be some in there..
Old 08-27-2001, 09:57 AM
President of CAC

I have not used a top water fly in and around Chatham since I can remember. I am not saying not to ,but even with surface action I have succeeded with the old "down and Dirty" clouser/sand eel... VERY sparse clouser or deep sand eel on North Monomoy with a crab or green shrimp pattern in your box... Chartreuse clouser was my old stand by tied like Harry K's "rats Ass".
Old 09-04-2001, 06:55 PM

Tie a Real Eel to a hunk of cork.

Lefty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.