Neah Bay - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2004, 02:22 AM
Make it a double!

The last thing I need is another boat!
What size are the boats for rent in Seiku and what kind of prices?

Thanks again guys for your help and words of encouragement.

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2004, 06:41 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Kevin -

We are planning a hooknose clave soon at Sekiu. I suggest you join us, then you will be on a boat with an experienced angler and will learn the ropes without risk. Most likely sometime in September.

Most of the boats are 16ft Sealakers, very seaworthy and 15 hp yamahas and mercs. No nav gear, byo. Handheld GPS is a very good thing to have out there, but a compass has gotten me out of many tricky situations.

$60-70 per day and very comfortable w/ two anglers, you can squeeze 3 if one takes turns. I prefer two per boat.

Juro
Old 07-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Tony, Bob -
Come a loooong way since the hooknose clave eh? That doesn't look like any kicker boat I've ever rented!

Thanks again to Juro for planting the seed. IMHO Sekui/Neah Bay is the best fishing this State has to offer, I look forward to it all year.

Bubba
Old 07-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Make it a double!

Juro,

I look forward to finding out when the salt clave will be.
I am going to try to get out to Sekiu in August.
I have a 9'6" 8 w. T&T horizon rod and rio versatip line.
Will I need to pick up some shooting heads in various
sink rates?

Kevin
Old 07-29-2004, 01:22 PM

Equipment

If the fish are around, the equipment you use isn't too important. A good deal of the time, when you are on fish, you don't even really need to cast. So I'd suggest that you don't get too excited about equipment until you make a trip or two and figure out what suits you.

That said, I believe that without question, the best all-around line is a 300grain head. I've had the teeny lines but I really prefer the AirFlo 300grain because it casts nicer and sinks significantly better. This line is great and seems to cast well on any 7-9wt rod. As you fish more, you'll find yourself with another rod rigged with a 400 grain line and yet another with a dry line. We've gotten to the point where we each have 3 rods rigged with these lines.

For flies, bring a fistfull of bead-head clousers in chartreuse and white and some 20# for the leader for casting. For locating fish, I prefer to troll a large-ish herring pattern and on that I use 40# for the leader - possibly with a stinger hook if the fly is big. I'm happy to scan specific patterns if that is helpful.

But there is no question that by far the biggest trick is to get out there a few times. Don't fuss over the equipment, literally anything works when you are on these aggressive fish.

Cheers,

-t
Old 07-29-2004, 01:23 PM

Email is down!

Trout Bum, Small Korky and I have gotten a trailer spot for the 4th through the 10 at the Cape. (whats with email anpther big bad virus no doubt.) We fished at Freshwater this dawn and saw very few taken, havent been there since late 70's. Looks like somebody made a fortune in real estate development since then!!!!!!!!!
Oh yeah NFT for us saw a couple crusing the kelp under my rod though.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big K1
The last thing I need is another boat!
What size are the boats for rent in Seiku and what kind of prices?

Thanks again guys for your help and words of encouragement.

Kevin
Prices are pretty reasonable. Also, you can rent a similar boat at Neah bay from the "Big Salmon Resort".

Here is a link to all of the boat rental services at Sekiu. I'd rent from Van Riper's. They list the Coho resort for kicker boats, but they sold all their rental boats in 2001.

http://www.sekiu.com/recreationservices.htm

-t
Old 07-29-2004, 02:20 PM

Kevin -

I just saw your inquiry but couldn't have said it better than Tony did.

I agree completely that if you had to have only one line it would be a hi-density sinking head line that matches your rod. If you do have the luxury, it's nice to have a floating line rod along since the fish are very surface oriented the first hour or two and later in the evening, sometimes all day but most days it's a dawn/dusk thing. The floater keeps the fly skipping, lifts easy and is a pleasure to cast.

Hope we can hook up this fall!
Old 07-29-2004, 02:31 PM

Moonlight - Look forward to camping with you.

t - Good advise to Kevin on equiptment. Only thing I disagree on is trolling. I believe that to be most effictive trolling should be done at a slow speed and this does not cover much water. I prefer to test fish rips quickly and move to the next one, look for wording birds, look for large numbers of resting birds, look for jumping fish or, as a last resort, look for the gear fleet. Trolling wasted too much time and was boaring beyond belief (I did plenty of it).

Tip of the week. Watch your bubble trail off your motor. Make your first cast behind the boat when you stop. Cohos love to follow and a short cast doesn't take much time.

Tight lines. W
Old 07-29-2004, 06:32 PM

i agree with warren. you're better off drifting around casting flies covering water than trolling. you'll learn more and actually be fly fishing. learning the water types is key, and success trolling in an area doesn't always translate into success fly fishing.

tie up some chartreuse and white flashtail clousers and half and halfs. grab a 300-350 grain line (i prefer the rio striper lines) and go at it. using the right lines and using a water load to cast them makes casting clousers easy and safe. to me, shooting head lines are the only way to fish out at neah bay. you'll save time and energy over full length lines (and they are safer to cast in the wind imo).

as for time of day, look at a current book. maximum ebbs and floods will usually translate into the best fishing for me. hard currents also make light levels less important when it comes to the depth the fish will be feeding. for me, the topwater fishing is less about low light, but more about finding the right current, bait, or situation to fish them.

unfortunetely for small boats, and as warren mentioned it's been lumpy lately,
the best fishing is indeed around the currents... and currents (especially ebbs) make rough water rougher. be cautious on an ebb, especially near the entrance. floods offer some of the best fishing, and the current flowing in usually flattens the water.

but the fishing has been top notch. the fish are bigger than i've ever seen this early (and not just a few, but the average is high). today we landed 52 coho.

chris
Old 07-29-2004, 08:58 PM

Hey everyone...
I am really keen on trying out the Neah bay fishery with my 17 foot boston whaler, but I would feel much more comfortable doing it for the first time if I could sort of team up with another boat because of the safety concerns...because of all the interest expressed on this site, I was wondering if anyone would be up for fishing with me as a team so we could both learn the water. anyone interested?
-Tom
(next few weeks)
Old 07-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Make it a double!

Thank you everyone for the excellent advice.
You have shown what a great group of guys you are.
Now I just have to get off my ass and get out there
and use the info everyone provided.

Juro,
It would be great if we could hook up.
A little salt and a little skinny water would be fun.

Kevin
Old 07-29-2004, 09:14 PM

Thumbs up

Tom, Kevin, et. al -

Would you guys be interested in a group conclave event out there? Forum member bash, Leland would likely attend and we might get to meet Moonlight and topwater too. Could be a real good gathering of folks on some of the most incredible fishing the world has to offer.

HOOKNOSE CLAVE!
Old 07-29-2004, 10:01 PM

I'd love to but I will be back chasing stripers on your coast come september when my school starts again in maine.
-tom
Old 07-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Make it a double!

Juro,

Hooknose Clave sounds good to me.

Kevin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.