i've got 280$ in orvis gift certs burning a hole in my pocket - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2004, 07:30 PM
certified striper nut

i've got 280$ in orvis gift certs burning a hole in my pocket

i want a vise, a full rotary vise, however i have been tying predominantly salt and have a regal on my bench now.. but friends gave me the trout illness this spring.and i want to get back into drys and emergers and well everything else.. now i am sitting on top of a pile of gift certs.. but thing is i want to do both drys and the big boys.. i don't mind having to buy another set of jaws..

problem being, now.. what do i do, what do i do.. i already had a norvise.. did not like the lack of room to tie behind the hook.. very good idea.. just did not work for me..

dynaking, renzetti, abel , or others?

now the problem is i have to buy from orvis, unless one of you wants to swap the gift certs towards a vise.. (i have an extra regal standard jaw c clamp i could throw in)..

looked at the midge jaws.. for the regal.. not thrilled, and not full rotary.. been in and out of 500+ web pages this week.. (stuck home , fractured hip ended my fishing season).. so now i want a vise..

what do i do..???

thanks for your patience,

Last edited by crashfromboston; 07-21-2004 at 07:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2004, 08:22 PM

Dk

I have a 50 year old Thompson which my dad gave me in my early teens. I felt guilty about looking at other vices for sentimental reasons.

I still keep the Thompson, but I never regret purchasing the Dyna-King Barracuda six months or so back. Flytyer has put a lot of posts about this vice and he is correct about all of them.

I am only a casual tyer - mostly in the winter months when things are slow. After using the DK for a while I found that I didn't need a full rotary, but it was awful nice. I felt the ability to quickly view the fly from either side really improved the finished quality - I recognize that this is not unique to the DK or a full rotary for that matter. Nevertheless, any full rotary does due some functions very well - tinsel and others. Another point, I have large hands and the DK - Barracuda (full size) offers plenty of space.

While I was researching things, I read a review where an outdoor writer stated that "...the DK will likely outlast you and several generations of your progeny....". I found this amusing & also agree, it sounds like it fits in your situation.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:40 PM
certified striper nut

i am really leaning towards the dynaking delux with the indexer feature..

i tie a lot.. and do epoxy flies as well as the little drys..

so i think my mind is made up.. i have had several vises over the last few

years. they all have their good and not so good features.. i got rid of a

thompson. 360 slt clamp with all the jaw sets last year, i was tired of snapping

pins and ruining d rings.. and i had a nor vise which i only kept a few months.

just was not my cup of tea.. great vise , but it did not work for what i was

tying.. and i have big hands.. so there was not a lot of room to work there..

the more i look at the dynaking the more relaxed i feel about dropping

that much money.

thanks for the advice ..

pete

now i need to find an orvis dealer with the best price on that vise..

(any ideas?)
Old 07-29-2004, 08:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
try the bear's den in Taunton

I know Scott sells orvis gear , as well as dynaking.... no guarentee he can help, but give him a call. he may come up with a solution for you. Tom D
Old 07-30-2004, 12:09 AM

I know of one store that sells both Orvis gear AND other companies' merchandise and it takes Orvis gift certificates in payment, regardless of what you buy. My guess is that there are others; you may want to check into that.

I bought a Renzetti "Clouser Traveler Vise," which comes with a straight-line
head, and a separate "Traveler" vise head. Exchanging one for the other
takes about 2 minutes.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:21 PM

vice

i bought a dynaking barracuda 6 mo. ago and dont know why i did not buy it 6 years ago , it is excellent. at my fly clubs tying sessions it is always being used. i have not found any hook too small or too big yet. life time warantee(sp.). mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.