Quinebaug River, MA/CT line? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2004, 08:09 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quinebaug River, MA/CT line?

Anyone familiar with this river?

I would like to find a spot to teach a private Spey casting lesson in that area. I am looking for a spot that is at least 150ft wide with a shallow wadeable bank and good current. Preferably both sides of the river would be accessible.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2004, 08:03 PM

Putnam to Plainfield

Juro, I know of no places 150 feet wide, no room for backcast, except maybe right in the center of putnam,ct alongside Kennedy Drive. Sorry not much help, but it is a good area though for Brown trout fishing, CT license is very expensive. I am now out of commission, and doubt that I will be able to fish again this year if ever, Julu 4 th I received a double compound fracture of my left leg, just got out of the hospital yesterday. Sorry, not much help. ArtB
Old 07-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Fly chucker

Juro- Sorry, but even though that river is close to my area I'm not familiar with it.

Art- Get well soon! I'm sorry to hear about your injury.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:20 PM

Art -

Sorry to hear about your injury! I hope things are on the mend. I know you will be fishing again, even if we have to carry you to the beach

Please get well quickly and thanks for the reply.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:25 PM

Art,

Just took a look at putname on terraserver. This stretch is just below a dam... does the water have decent current? Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:55 PM

Putnam to Plainfield

Juro, The more I think about it the better I feel. Kennedy Drive runs right alongside of it. the water has good current above and below the dam. In the spring the city of Putnam have a fishing drby for the kids. All along Kennedy Drive for about a mile there is park like grounds with even fireplaces. I n the dam area It is about 200 feet wide with unobstructive back casts. Further down it has much shade, but excellent brown trout fishing, and not that heavily fished. My brother-in-law lives no more than a stone's throw away. After thinking about it I think it would be a good place. Very easy access to rt.395. hope this helps. Just about running on a laptop, can't access my main computer in the cellar. artb
Old 07-23-2004, 03:26 PM

How about the Nashua in Peperell?
Old 07-23-2004, 03:42 PM

Art -

My student lives in CT so this is an excellent choice, almost halfway a little in his favor

One more question - is is possible to wade out into the water 15-20 feet away from the shore along this stretch without being over the tops of the waders? In other words, a gravelly bottom that one could wade around in with a gradual sloping bottom? Shallow riffles are good too (safety purposes).

Thanks again and get that leg better for the hardtails

Lefty -

Thanks for the suggestion, I practice on the Nashua River in Hollis NH frequently near the bridge. Nice spot, like being up in the north country or something. Down below the rocks it's about 200ft wide.

My customer lives in CT so I want to meet him halfway. Aerial searches revealed this interesting looking river, the Quinebaug, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks to Art I think I might just have my spot!
Old 07-24-2004, 06:00 PM

Juroif it is in the near future, I don't know what the waterflow is, it is a river that changes a lot. I don't know what the depth is below the dam, or if it s wadable, if I wasn't hurt I would check it out for you. I do know that there is a small river that joins the Quninebaug just below the dam and it has a bar or two. I just don't know if it is clear for a backcast. sorry. Wish I could help more. It is good brown trout water though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.