Weekend Rept - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 08:40 AM

Weekend Rept

Fished bayside on Saturday in an area that has been stellar for us over
the last month. With 70 + degree water the bass seem to have thinned
out although we got a few along with a number of angry bluefish. Nice
day to be on the water.

Sunday went outside of Chatham where there are still plenty of big fish
in residence. Saw some backing and got to test drive the Xi2 which I am
grading an A+. Many of the fish were still sporting heavy sea lice which has
to be a good thing at this point in the season.

Again one of us hooked into something we could not move. Chased it for
15 min but could not get any closer than 30 feet before it would run again.
Did not fight like a bass...just a steady pull that would speed up when we
got close in the boat. This is on a 10wt...we had to break it off
eventually because we were making no progress.

No head shakes like a bass...did not come up for air like a seal...maybe some kind of shark? Have seen big basking sharks in the area over the last couple of weeks...

Last edited by BigDave; 07-19-2004 at 08:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2004, 08:52 AM
President of CAC

Dave... anymore you can share on the Sage Xi2?????? A report... how does it compare with the RPLXi?...Things like that?
Old 07-20-2004, 01:02 PM
LT 20

Rio DC 450

Dave,

Did you find a Rio 450 DC? I was in Jim's shop when you bought the Xi2.

We fished out in front of the light on Saturday and did well. My friend and I put 15 keepers in the boat. My friend is a spin guy and makes all his own lures, he did real well. I guess he gets similar satisfaction out of making his own lures and catching fish, as we do by tying our on flies.

I had my knukkles and fingers woken up a few times when my Baur went speeding into the backing a few times. I was using my 10 wt RPLxi with a RIO 450 DC and a version of the deep eel.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:55 PM

Craig, nice to put a face with a name...didn't realize that was you. Yes I found the 450 which to my amazement will make it to the bottom in 40 feet of water with a long enough drift. Really handles nicely too...don't think I had one tangle all day. Glad to hear you guys did well out there. I was encouraged by the number and average size of fish after a week of comm season.

John, I have to say I am quite impressed by the Xi2. Have been fishing a friend's 10wt RPLXi for the last few weeks. I actually was hoping to find the same rod in a 3pc. configuration but they are sold out just about everywhere. I wanted something travel-friendly so 2-pc. RPLXi was out of the question.

There are some differences between the RPLXi and Xi2 IMHO:

RPLXi is a sweet fish fighting tool that bends deeply into the butt section. Xi2 fights well also but does not flex as deeply. Perhaps because it's a 4pc.

Xi2 feels extremely light in the hand and is more of a tip-flex rod IMO. However it will still handle a 10wt intermediate line nicely (no need to overline).

Reel seat and hardware on Xi2 is a little more beefy than RPLXi.

You can pick up a ton of line with very little effort with the Xi2.

On Xi2 there is a more pronounced difference in size between the first and second stripping guides. Also the tip top guide is huge and basically at a 90 degree angle to the blank. Not sure what this design was intended to do but you can toss line out of the park with a minimum of false casts.

I have to say that I am a big fan of both rods. The Xi2 is a bit lighter in the hand and faster. Very pleasing to cast all day long and nicely appointed. Both are great rods and it's a matter of personal taste at this level IMHO.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:39 PM

Have you guys tried the XP it's a little softer and a great casting rod. Give it a try. My next rod that I make will probably be the XP but I'll have to give the Xi2 a good look over. Such a nice problem to solve. FishHawk
Old 07-20-2004, 08:19 PM
President of CAC

Dave..thanks for that detailed report..I would very much like to check that rod out and also compare it to the XP.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:24 AM

John you're more than welcome to check out the new stick. Maybe we can meet up on the flats and swap rods for a day.

FishHawk - I like the XP but it's not a great boat rod. Sweet for casting into a wind but I needed something for vertically lifting heavy fish to the boat. I do think it would be a great flats rod though.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:19 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Xi2

Here is my take on a 9wt Xi2 after using it 30 days straight in May/June on the flats primarily, but also in a few rips. Big Dave is correct in that it is a faster rod than its predecessor, the RPLXi. In terms of butt strength, I didn't get an opportunity to assess its lifting power, but did get to leverage the rod down to the butt on some good bass.

While overlining the rod would be doable, I didn't see a need on the flats using a Rio LumaLux intermediate. In the rips and blindcasting in channels, the rod handled a Rip Striper 350gr line easily.

I've been using RPLXi's until this year, and will now look at upgrading to the Xi2 in both 8 & 10wts.

I got a chance to test a saltwater 6wt Xi2. It appears to be faster than my 6wt XP, and would be a fun rod on schoolies. Comparing the Xi2 to the XP, it is evident that the stripping guides, snake guides and tiptop on the Xi2 are designed for saltwater use. That is not the case on the XP. Also, I agree with Big Dave, the XP does not have the lifting ability of the Xi2.

Simms
Old 07-21-2004, 01:08 PM
President of CAC

Well...I am ordering a Xi2...11 weight with a fore grip... This is a weight rod I want and if it is lighter than the RPLXi... then this will make a good 11 weight.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:21 PM

Talking

Confirmed by Sage on the XP which they said would not be good for sounding fish. I forgot to mention this in my post on the XP. I will have to test cast a X2i again its been a long time since I did. I make my own rods and put on REC reel seats with Prefection snakes and Fuju stripping guides . A good winter project.
FishHawk
Old 07-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

We all have opinions and they are like... well you know, they all stink.

A rod can have many characteristics. One is lifting power. Another is quick loading. Fast recovery. Smooth dampening. Flex profile through the blank, very important for those who cast by 'feel'. Weight of rod, hardware, finish, etc.

And no rod has every characteristic completely covered. Some have one thing, or two - while other rods offer better something-or-other.

Personally, if I were to buy a rod for one characteristic, it would be for casting. For every fish I wish I could lift, I cast for many others and I want that to be as pure a pleasure as possible. I am an avid sight fisher, and the rod's responsiveness to last-minute presentations as well as long-shot lead casts is important - but once hooked up as long as it has a good butt I am not too upset about the lifting power.

If my mainstream fishing was from a boat the way it's done on the outer Cape coast this time of year, an 8ft 11wt 'stick' would be the way to go. I would use 30# 3rd gen flouro tippet coming back to a 40# maxima leader butt and yard those cows in. I've had the pleasure of doing that over the years and it's fun and incredibly productive but when it comes to preferences give me the flats, a shoreline rip or a brawling surf anyday of the week. We all know that casting is not even important in that fishery. If you can flip the head out and feed line, you are in that game.

My concept of a good rod is a rod that delivers pleasure during the hunt first and foremost, then during the battle second. For me a good single-hand rod is one that is sweet to cast, delivers the fly gently in the position I need it to be for approaching pods. I like it to load and unload with a strong sensation and yet have a vicious recoil to propel the loop.

I love two-handed rods on the beach because they don't ask for much - only to be handled correctly, not with brute force but a light touch and good technique. For this bit of investment in learning and practice they pay big dividends, letting the hunter stalk the beach with bigger offerings in nasty conditions with truly big fish in the crosshairs, raising the hunt to the next level.

Lifting power is very low in my list of priorities, but we all fish differently out there and thus will have different perspetives.

Just another angler's view...

Old 07-21-2004, 07:58 PM
President of CAC

I have the Atlantis on order also...but I wanted a boat rod with a little more power than my 10 wt....
Old 07-22-2004, 04:55 AM

Talking

I could be wrong here but the reason most rods break on a boat is due to high sticking. I'll bet that those rods that break do not have the lifting power hence the angler tries to high stick the rod to get more lifting power. For boat fishing ,as told to me by Sage ,you want a rod that has lifting power.
FishHawk
Old 07-22-2004, 09:28 AM

I probably am cursing myself by writing this but, I have only broken rods when wading - never in a boat.

Learned my lessons high sticking schoolies
Old 07-22-2004, 12:46 PM
LT 20

What is high sticking?

Would someone discribe high sticking so I can avoid doing it.

I broke a rod on one of the rip trips. I was fishing the big rip and trying to horse in a strong schoolie to get out of the way of everyone, snap there goes my 10 wt. Luckully Nick had brought and extra rod, thanks again Nick!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.