Kudo's to all your great talents - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2001, 11:34 AM

Kudo's to all your great talents

Been looking religiously through the Archive of Striper Fly thread this week. Boy! Some great photography and recipes of an eclectic assortment of flies. One can see the great amount of learning, talent, and passion that's displayed by your contributions. It has gotten me to wonder why I love tying so much during the winter months? If only I could express my feelings as a writer though. My focus might not be as clear as others, who have mastered the usage and the phrasing of the English language.

Comparing flies to fishing is like comparing works of art to different civilizations. They record not only the process of our sport, but the history as well. For that matter, where we might be heading. Fly patterns record certain era's of tradition. Decades can be linked by perhaps a certain tying technique or material. In the beginning, traditional flies tended to use organic materials. As you go through the gambit of time, synthetics have taken their place. Regardless of your persuasion, they all catch fish. There is no discrimination here.

The Egyptian pyramids have been around for thousands of years. They have stood the test of time. I doubt that they could be improved upon today. On the other hand, would we be in Space now if it weren't for the individuals who believed that creating and pushing the envelope is the way to advance.

Regardless of your philosophy, whither you tie flatwings with hackles or flies with synthetic's that never seem to biodegrade, there is a place for all of us. The common denominator might be the oceans and waters and the fish we search, but the cohesion that holds it all together is our friendship and sharing of ideas.

Great job guys. Enjoy the flies..... and enjoy the ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2001, 05:48 PM
President of CAC

RE:Kudo's to all your great talents

Ray (Ernest), It was nice spending some time with you though that thread... But I need to be heading back to the planet earth now.
Old 03-18-2001, 07:36 PM

Hey John -

The one time I get serious in deep provoking thoughts about the universe, fishing, and Zen philosophy.... You zing me with some Mork and Mindy stuff.

I'll crawl back into my shell and won't write another statement.

Nano!...Nano!
Old 03-18-2001, 08:48 PM
President of CAC

Sorry Ray... just kidding with you since you do have a sense of humor. It is a great post and thanks for the angel hair. I sent you a money order Friday. Don't stop with the statements on my account. I can't find the little smilly face with the wink on it so...
Old 03-18-2001, 10:02 PM

Ray,
Why am I not suprised that you were a Mork & Mindy fan?

Hey! Where have you been lately?
Bob
Old 03-18-2001, 10:19 PM

striblue -

My thoughts of complimenting the board members efforts on their tying skills was true, honest and sincere. They all deserve the acclaim, each and every individual. Tying a dozen or so flies takes dedication. Sharing their knowledge to the rest of us, who may not have participated went well beyond the norm.

Your interjection of humor was defined toward myself and not the message of intent of the post. I understood that in my second post.

That's why I stated in closing, Nano! Nano! That's Robin Williams (Mork's way) of saying "a big happy face." I wish I could say this was planned but it wasn't..... So I'm still one up.
Old 03-18-2001, 10:47 PM
President of CAC

You are indeed still one up... I'm trying to catch up.
Old 03-18-2001, 11:12 PM

John,

Here ya go!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.