Commercial Season - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2004, 09:37 AM
LT 20

Commercial Season

How much of an impact do people feel the commercial bass season will have on us recreational fisherman.

Does anyone know how long the commercial season runs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2004, 10:26 AM

Craig,

I'm interested to see how it holds up as well.

Comm season is based on meeting a weight quota...in theory.

The details are here:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recre...ss.htm#commreg
Old 07-14-2004, 06:49 PM

Angry Commercial Season

Did I read the regulations correctly? Commercial fishernen can take 1,141,517 stripers over 34" this season.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Jonesin...

Arthur,

I believe that is pounds not # of fish but still a big number. Lets say average fish over 34" weighs 15lbs that would be approximately 76K fish.

Sean
Old 07-14-2004, 11:40 PM

I don't have a problem with commercial fishing as long as it is managed correctly so there will always be enough fish for a healthy fishery. That goes for rec fisherman as well. Don't over harvest comm or rec. It's like the old Fram add... pay a little now or a lot later.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:09 AM

Talking

I agree with CSJ60. One of the key to any fishery is enforcement. A few bad apples spoil it for everyone. So unless the EPO's get some of the bad guys the violations will occur.
FishHawk
Old 07-15-2004, 09:22 AM

The problem is there is no enforcement here and it's not a well
managed fishery. Many think it's a bit of a joke.

Same with the rec limits. 2 over 28 doesn't make sense. Protect the
breeders with a slot limit like Maine. More and bigger fish around for
all to enjoy.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
I'm with Dave on this one. Our slot limit is the best. If you want one for the grill or chowder you can't beat the 20" - 26" fish. It is good eating and the spawning fecundity of this sized fish hasn't peaked. The over 40" trophy has played out it's best breading years so the effect on the nursery all around is minimal. I guess my biggest beef is that on top of the reported landings there must be so much by-catch morbidity and waste. Perhaps if they allowed a wider range of legal fish the by catch would be counted more and not heaved over the side because it wasn't of legal. Personally, I feel they should just restrict it back to rod and reel only, but commecual rules have been reinstated so there mustr be a better way to take more of the waste out of the equation.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:06 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Chris...

I'm impressed!
Fecundity!?
That's right up there with Caudal Penduncle...
...one of my favourite sports writers? yah, that's the ticket!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:03 AM

Is the Commercial Fishery alright?

Striper should be a game fish!

Think about the amount of revenue created up and down the coast by this fish. I know that I personally have spent nearly a thousand dollars this year alone in gear and tying supplies...etc. We all do! The Striped bass is much to precious of a resource for it to be dwindled away by an industry that is reknowned for pushing its fisheries to the brink and beyond recovery.

It has already been stated that there isn't anyone to keep tabs on the commercial guys. Now... what if every state on the eastern seaboard decides that commercial fishing for Striped bass is a good idea. Just my 2 cent.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin
I'm impressed!
Fecundity!?
That's right up there with Caudal Penduncle...
...one of my favourite sports writers? yah, that's the ticket!

Yeah, one of my three big words. I need to use it every once in a while or I'll be down to two. Hmm, Come to think of it I must be down to one I can't seem to remember the others. RATS!!
Old 07-16-2004, 05:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cole
Quote:
Think about the amount of revenue created up and down the coast by this fish. I know that I personally have spent nearly a thousand dollars this year alone in gear and tying supplies...etc. We all do! The Striped bass is much to precious of a resource for it to be dwindled away by an industry that is reknowned for pushing its fisheries to the brink and beyond recovery.

That revenue is pretty much what has saved Stripers over the years, other fisheries certainly haven't been as lucky. The spiny dogfish have been pretty much wiped out in the northeast due to gross over fishing; most recreational fisherman wouldn't give a crap. Fisheries managers reacted 'relatively' quickly to the decline of the striper, and the results are fairly easy to see.

That said, fisheries management really has to become more far reaching. They set low-ball goals like: "managing a sustainable fishery" whereas it should be more like: "managing an abundant fishery. I really hope someday fishery managers incorporate a truly ecosystem based approach, instead of the narrow minded quotas they still toss out there.

The previous Mass. fisheries management website estimates ~40 million fish, so therefore 1,141,000 lb doesn't appear to be too drastic... So goes the (seemingly) never-ending battle between ecology and economy, 'fishing tradition' versus biological limits. Hopefully the striped bass population can endure on, and personally i think it will thanks to the large recreational fishing population.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.