Marabou baitfish - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2001, 10:52 PM

Marabou baitfish

I started playing abound with marabou at the end of last season, and really liked what it did in the water. This is a variation on one of my last "trial models" from September- can't wait to test drive it.

I wanted to tie something that would imitate a baby bunker or other wide bodied bait, and would provide maximum wiggle with minimal line
movement. The combination of saddles for the tail and a marabou body seems to work pretty well.

Hook: These were tied on 1/0s, but size can go from ~2 to 4/0 on same pattern. I used mono thread here, and secured each tie w/ nail polish or zap-a-gap

-Wrap hook shank w/ mono thread.

-Tie in 4 white saddle hackles, keeping the fluffy stuff on the base to increase bulk.

-Tie in 2-4 strands of pearl flash on each side at the middle of the strand, fold over and secure (so you have 2X the strands when you’re done.

-Tie in a clump of white marabou on each side, and on the bottom. Tie in a clump of olive marabou on top. If you're more skilled at it than I am, you could probably palmer the white mabarou, but....

-Top olive marabou with some olive flash.

-Cut ~ 1 ¼” piece of corsair-type tubing, tie in one end over the point where marabou is secured, with rest of tubing extending forward over the hook eye.

-Push the free end of the tubing back over the hook, and secure at the eye. Color top of tubing w/olive and brown permanent markers.

-Add prismatic eyes using goop, paint on gills w/ red nail polish if desired.

-Go get those fish!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2001, 09:50 AM

RE:Marabou baitfish

Nice job Marvin.

I tried a similar pattern at the end of last season as well. It worked pretty well on some fish in an area that regulary get pounded by fly, bait & plugs.

I like the hackle tail, need to add that this year....

Roop
Old 03-18-2001, 11:13 AM
President of CAC

RE:Marabou baitfish

I have done a number of these... The only differene is that the head is done with "football" shaped sticky forms and I then stick the eyes on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.