Smallie fingerling zonker - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies Freshwater Bass, pike, muskie?!?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Marine Scientist

Smallie fingerling zonker

Tied on a size 4 TMC 300; body is braided mottled orange and olive chenille, lower tail is olive marabou, back is dark brown zonker secured with copper wire, head is olive 6/0. Another one that I had planned to use for the pike clave...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smallie fingerling.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	3239  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2004, 04:55 PM
Grayson

Send a message via AIM to redneckfishrman
Nice!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2004, 08:59 PM
Pullin' Thread

Chris--

If you tie the same fly with a gold or gold and orange tinsel chenile, Cactus Chenile, Estaz, etc. body, it is even more effective for smallies (and large browns) for those rivers with fallfish in them (such as the Delaware).
Old 08-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Marine Scientist

Looking at this fly again this afternoon, I wondered why I hadn't mounted a few strands of orange Krystal Flash along the flanks and secured them with the copper wire. When I re-do this pattern I'll try the chenille suggestion and will also do a variant with the Krystal Flash.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Pullin' Thread

Chris,

A brown rabbit strip wing with olive marabou as a short under tail with gold tinsel chenile was a very effective fly on the Delaware way back when I lived in northeast PA. I started to tie it for 2 reasons: 1) all the fallfish in the Delaware; and 2) one of my friends and fishing partners at the time used a gold jointed Rapalla and he was outfishing me badly in the late evening and early morning. The brown rabbit Zonker with the olive marabou under tail and gold tinsel chenile body let me hook nearly as many as Cal with his Rapalla.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Marine Scientist

This gives me further affirmation that patterns randomly created at the vise have most likely been done somewhere before. This particular pattern was one that I just "came up with" while sitting at the vise one day; funny that you tied it all those years ago! This is a reason that I don't bother naming any of the stuff I come up with.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:49 PM
Pullin' Thread

And I'm sure that others were probably using similar flies before I came up with the brown rabbit wing with olive marabou and gold tinsel chenile to imitate fallfish. In fact, my father used to use the the old Dark Edson Tiger (golden-yellow chenile body, flat gold tinsel ribbing, brown bucktail wing, jungle cock cheek) on the Delaware and Lackawaxen Rivers because they caught fish for him. The Dark Edson Tiger is also a passable fallfish imitation, although it works best if you use the original golden-yellow (really a light gold color) chenile body-not the lemon yellow I almost always see it tied with these days.

Back when I tied it with brown rabbit (the very early 70's), Zonkers were nearly unknown and I had to cut my own rabbit strips from tanned, dyed rabbit skins I bought at Tandy's Leather.

But I digressed, I've been amazed over the many years I've been tying and fly fishing how often people come up with the same type of fly (materials might be a little different) to solve the same problem of imitation. It would be very hard to have a truly new and different fly for the same imitation or fishing problemthat someone else hasn't done something very similarly before.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:51 PM
Marine Scientist

I had an idea this evening for something that I think is unique, but it will have to wait until I get an hour to sit down at the vise and work it out. That's not likely to happen until the Olympics have passed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.