Quiting Smoking - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2004, 04:10 PM
President of CAC

Quiting Smoking

I started the nicorette gum early this morning and it's now 5 PM EST...without a smoke...I hope when I stop the nicorette, I am there...... bTW...right now I want to know if anybody wants to Fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Flats Rat

Thumbs up

Great stuff John!

It took me two attempts with the wacky gum but it will be three years in November and this time it feels permanent!

Beware of all nicotine temptations. Give the Havanas away - or put them on eBay It was late nights, single malt and Monte Christos that got me back into the habit last time. You'll be sprinting to the end of South beach in double quick time and the South Monomoy deathmarch will hold no fears for you now (poor chocie of smiley I guess )
Old 07-12-2004, 05:08 PM

Hey Stri,

keep at it brother. It is now seven months for me and about a dozen times trying to quit. I used zyban which really helped quell the cravings when I was tapering off the cig's. Good luck!!

LoopHiTech
Old 07-12-2004, 05:14 PM

Send a message via MSN to Skilly Send a message via Yahoo to Skilly
Quiting

John

I quit the 5th of January and still have panic attacks wanting a smoke. One of my sons quit 10 years ago and says he still wants to smoke.

I used the patch for 2 weeks then cold turkey. I dont think anything makes quitting easy. One thing does help----- $150.00------ a month in my pocket. That always helps. Just go to the fly shop when you think you cant stand it any longer. You will now have more money to spend there.

Oh I smoked for 50 stupid years.

Skilly
Old 07-12-2004, 06:00 PM
President of CAC

Thanks Guys...I have quit before and restarted.... I afraid i will have to put the cigars away too, since that was what basically started me nback on th e smokes... I will ge thouught today...tomorrow I will start coughing up flem from the lungs that was the protective coving which built up from smocking... when the coughing is done... by week end...I will have done .... Anybody want to buy some incredible cuban and other cigars.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Middle Aged Member

Ah yes. Quiting smoking, I'm good at this as I've done it a few times. I'd suggest aan Rx for Zyban or Wellbruten, a mild anti-depressant. Start a week before you quit, augment with the gum if you need it. I was told a couple of years ago when I was about to quit, and I thought fly tying might keep me occupied, that it (fly tying) would have the opposite effect.

I had my last butt right after the Super Bowl. Chain smoked and sucked beers through the first half. Had 3 butts left at half time and decided to save them to go with my victory 3 fingers of Doublewood after the game. Did good until the spring clave. I was down the house in Dennis by myself and had the better part of a box of stale Macanudo's I'd won at a CCA banquet a year and a half ago, so I said, "what the heck". I knew it was a mistake (as I said, I'm experienced with this quitting stuff). But I will not have a cigarette. I'll drop the cigars shortly, but it's like starting over again.

Bottom line is:
if you want to continue bein the Iron Man, quit

cigars aren't an option for the long term smoker

if it doesn't work out this time keep trying - get the Rx for the happy pills

hide the woman and children and don't kick the dog
Good Luck!

PS, So what do you want for the Cubanos

Last edited by FredA; 07-12-2004 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:28 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Thumbs up WayToGo John!!!

It was long ago but...
Having worked at the Strong Memorial Psych ward in Rochester, and a certain Agency in the Middle East, I'm familiar with
Electro Convulsive Shock Therapy...
I could probably put together a working unit in a few daze...
Forget ANYTHING with the thoughtful application of enough joules!
Let me know if you want any "help"...

Let's go fishin'!
Old 07-12-2004, 07:29 PM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
been 15 years

I quit cold turkey upon realizing one day that I was paying a hell of a lot of money for something that tastes like s**t!!
Life is but a walking shadow. A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury!! Signifying nothing. May as well go fishing!
Old 07-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Thumper of Drum.

Send a message via AIM to Jamey McLeod Send a message via MSN to Jamey McLeod Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey McLeod
Right on!!!!

I'm working on 6 weeks, after 15yrs. Woke up one morning and said "I'm done". A bit of Skoal here and there gets me through. I tried the gum, but thought my teeth were going to fall out I was chewing so much. Its nice to be able to walk up the hill at my favorite access and not get winded, hell, sometimes I jog up it, just to show myself I can. Teeth are also starting to whiten up. Even my finger nails are groing back from the bloody stumps I chewed them to the first week.

Stick with it brother, its the best thing you can do for yourself. And, with the $$$ you save you could buy a new stick by fall.

Jamey
Old 07-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

When you hug your children or wife, you can feel proud. The morning air... never smelled so good on the beach. Hmmm.... was that a remnant of new car smell in your car? When you walk the backside, you will feel a spring in the step after the fourth mile. Most of all, you won't leave people behind in the event of serious illness, which is almost inevitable. People who love you, and whom you love that you won't want to leave behind. You can't get those years back once they're gone so the only sensible approach is to prevent the harm in the first place by doing exactly what you're doing!

I stopped the cigars and that was the key

Of course my collection was paltry compared to yours!
Old 07-12-2004, 09:11 PM

Juro,

Your words brought tears to my eyes bro. Everytime I crave a cigarette I look at my 3 month old and the craving dissappears. Next to quitting for yourself, family is the next best reason. BAD! Fish on, GOOD!!!

Vinnie
Old 07-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Make it a double!

Stick with it John!

It has been 3 years 2 months and 7 days since I quit. I still crave one every once in awhile. I would avoid all forms of smoking. I sometimes think I could just have one. One would turn right back into 20-30. I quit the day I found out my wife was pregnant. I will never smoke again.

Kevin
Old 07-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Recovering Albie-holic

Set my date....

I am smoking them while I've got 'em ....JULY 16th is D-day...set a date a couple of weeks ago when.....allergies + sinusitis=bronchitis...plus MI just went up $0.75. Have gum and ready to go!

Good luck on your adventure...Man, its going to be tough when I am standing around, swatting mosquitos, waiting for the hexes to fall.

To all my East Coast brothers of the long rod, will make my Rhode Island appearance around the 3rd of October...see you all at Weekapaug and someone do me a favor and make sure there are a few albies around. May try the two-hander this year...have plenty of backing on my spey reel.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:12 AM
I remember sometimes...,

Hey John,
Good luck, I'm on your side. Hate to tell you this but, you need to deep 6 the stogies too.....,(at least for a year)
Quiting the cigs was the 2nd easiest thing I ever did ..., (and I did it SEVERAL times)..., Picking them back up again was the #1 easiest thing I ever did!!! I quit the smokes the first time in '84, everytime I picked 'em up again was after I grabbed a good stogie. After better than 15 years without a cig, I can finally light up a good cigar and not feel like I need to buy a pack of butts or bum from my buddies.
Stay the course.
I need for you to hang around 'til we're both in our 70s, so we can still fish and really spend some time together. I still have alot to learn from you!!! And at the current pace I won't have enough free time to spend with my feet in the salt, until I'm 70!!
Just say NO and tie another fly.
I'm with you (in spirit)!
All the best,
DK
NOT
Old 07-13-2004, 01:54 AM

Quit 13 years ago. Cold turkey. Was pure hell but I got thru it. But there is only one draw back on quitting smoking. Food now starts to taste better and you will probably eat more so then you have to go on a diet just to lose all the weight that you put on from not smoking any more. And you will find out that it goes on a lot easier than coming off. The weight that is. Plus after a while all cigarettes stink.

Nothing worse that a ex-smoker.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.