Intruder question - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2004, 03:02 PM

Intruder question

I recently discovered the Intruder on this forum. It looks like a great fly. I know it goes against a lot of the convential wisdom on the great lakes but I think it will make a great fly on the bigger waters out here.

My question is on the technique. I found the article in Fish and Fly with the pattern, but on the forum I see a lot of intruders tyed in Flourescent colors. Especially the ones posted by Kush. On the variations are you continuing to use pheasant tail as the rear and front hackle ? Have people experimented with other feathers for hackling the intruder ?

Gillie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 08:32 AM

I used some gadwall flank and mallard flank for collars in various intruder /waddington shank type patterns I tied and used last fall in BC. Colored them with orange marking pens , and they worked fine in water that was a little off color. When the water is really clear,my personal experiience is that the flies are a bit large. I just fold and roll the gadwall feathers around the collar. Looks good and caught fish.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:49 PM

I also have used mallard, teal & gadwell in various dyed colours - dyed Lady Amherst centre & sides as well as Golden pheasant centres & sides can realy pep up this style of fly. rhea is the other feather that exells(dyed feathers can be given a barred effect with differant marker pens) - with all these material sparse is realy the way to go for maximal action
speydoc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.