I needed a Sight Fishing Parnter at Popham - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2004, 12:23 PM

I needed a Sight Fishing Parnter at Popham

I was out at Popham beach yesterday and I couldn't have asked for a nicer day.... well actually to have had a partner in crime would have been Ideal! I looked the tidal river over, but made my way to the sand bar and surf. There was an incredible rip that was forming with two converging current and 2-3 foot waves spaced out nicely. I got out at 9:30 and started seeing fish after about and hour of prowling. There was pod after pod of big fish transiting the bar. Both directions, I got alot of casts but someone standing 30 yards down from me would have had some much nicer shots at these fish. As the tide continued to roll in the fish started surfing in the waves and digging in the wash. I likely saw close to 300 fish total. I had very few follows all day, and wasn't fortunate enough to hold one of the fish in my hands . The fish were easily spooked. I wish that I had had an arsenal of little bonefish flies and my 10lb tippet. I guess that you live and learn. Sat at my vise for a few hours last night and did up some Grass shrimp patterns and larger sandeels with full intentions of doing it all over again today but the torrential rains have me held locked up for another day of coffee and fly tying! Let me know if you are going to be in the area (or are already in the area) so we can hook up and do some sight fishing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img8.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	3469  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2004, 02:07 PM

One of these days I'll would like to make a trip up your way and see what Maine has to offer. FishHawk
Old 07-08-2004, 04:08 PM

I will be hitting popham early(way early) sat. morn and would like to hook up with you. Just give me a time and place and Im there! Have not not looked at the tides yet and have to work all night tonight so get back to me Lets sight fish!! KFLY
Old 07-09-2004, 11:35 AM

Drew you know you are blind. Hey hope to fish with you and your brother
soon fishing down on the cape has slowed up alot. I am starting to make
my way up the coast. chris droped me a note about meatind some were in the
middle, but I would like to check out your neck of the woods. peace
porkslice
Old 07-09-2004, 12:00 PM

Let fish it then

Saturday early AM sound good by me Drew. I will try to be there around 4AM. Last 2.5hours of the incoming which is not bad. I have an after hours pass so I will be in my 1990 red toyota 4 runner!

Aaron
Old 07-09-2004, 04:37 PM

Sounds good, I assume you park at the state park entrance and not the fort, Or does your pass allow you entry? Either way I will see you there right around 4 a.m. I drive a black jeep
Old 07-09-2004, 04:56 PM

Thumbs up

Pork slice,Fish Hawk great to hear from both of you, I guess It did take a little while for me to see the pods of bass this spring! But once I did I could not beleive there could be that many bass cruiseing one beach, How bout that ambush spot that funnled them to us! Did you happen to see the ariel veiws of that spot on the outside that penguin took ? it shows that spot clearly. I plan on being there for the boneclave, washburn Island in august if that is still a go and any time you guys are in the area we will fish. Fish hawk I had some awsome dry fly action this june up north you have to check that out next year see you soon
Old 07-09-2004, 05:53 PM

The park pass gives me the combo to the gate. It is $10 and you need to be out by 9AM unless you have the State park pass. I see people parked outside the park all the time though... but the answer your question, I park at the Park and not the fort.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:02 PM

Talking

Drew look forward to the June action up in Maine . Will plan on it when I see you and Chris . FishHawk
Old 07-12-2004, 11:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
I should be free this weekend for some striper fishing. I'll meet anyone that's up for it in Popham or Scarborough.

Porkslice, any thoughts on the speaker request? If you want you can use my place as a staging point to fish Popham or Scarborough. Give me a shout if it's a possibility.

Casco,
If you're in Popham or points south drop me a line and I'll get you my phone #'s to plan.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:04 PM

chris e-mail me the specifications on the speakers. and I will try to
mach the drivers. But it will be easy to fix once I get speakers
in hand. I will try to get up there this weekend. write me back
if this weekend is good for you.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:27 PM

Lets get together this weekend if you plan on comeing up, Have to check tides but there is plenty of fish around!
Old 07-12-2004, 08:01 PM

This weekend

I have family up this weekend... BUT I will likely be able to get out on Sunday morning for the majority of the day. Looking at the tides it would be a good day to hit Popham, although the Low tide is a little early for my liking. If we go we might want to think about a canoe or swim wear..... or we can hike over Morse mtn (10 minute walk).. When I go out to fish the surf I cross the Morse river... as the tide comes in you get the sand bar flooding. Of course to get the really good shots, at the fish in the surf, yo end up having to swim the channel which is 40 yards top... very eye opening ... that allows you to get back over to the tub where the fish stage up on the flat... It is all weather dependent as well. But I think we should plan on a Sunday mission if that works for people.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Tides Popham & Scarborough

SCARBOROUGH
Sat. 7/17 Low 6:02am
High 12:14pm
Low 5:57pm

Sun. 7/18 Low 7:12 am
High 12:50pm
Low 6:34pm

FORT POPHAM
Sat. 7/17 Low 6:09am
High 12:26pm
Low 6:04pm

Sun. 7/18 Low 6:45
High 1:02pm
Low 6:41pm

I'm game to meet anyone at either Popham, Ferry Beach, Scarborough Saturday or Sunday or both. I need a couple for the grill. All are welcome if you are coming from away to set up a tent in my yard. PM me for phone numbers or rendevous places and times. I will be fishing regardless so if you're goning to be around let's meet up. The tides are perfect for Ferry Beach for a 4am start. No charge to park if you get there before 9am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.