Moose Hair - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2004, 04:42 PM
LBFF Mojo

Moose Hair

I tied up a batch of dark grease liners the other day and used moose for the wing. They riffle hitched awesome and was quite happy with the results.

I have never used moose before and was curious if someone could shed some light on the boyancy/durability properties of moose compared to elk and deer hair.

Thanks,

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2004, 05:28 PM

Moose body hair or mane hair is generally a lot longer and more durable, stiffer and about the same boyancy as deer & Elk.
There are many types of moose hair depending on which part of the body it comes from
I use it mostly for underwings to prop up the wings and keep them stiffer.
The shorter moose hair or tips of the long ones is ideal for making split tails on small dries.
Check your PM
Old 07-07-2004, 05:30 PM

Sean,
My experience with moose hair is that it isn't as buoyant as deer or caribou, however it is much more durable than either. Because of the stiffness inherent to the hair it riffles better than anything else I've used, certainly much better than squirrel, calf tail or bear. I've never tried to spin it to use on a dry fly, but I don't think it would float very well anyway. I use it almost exclusively on most all wetfly patterns, and have had wonderful results.
Tight lines!
Sayow

Last edited by sayow; 07-07-2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Pullin' Thread

Sean,

Moose is one of my favorite hair for tailing flies. It is my hair of choice for tailing Humpies, Wullfs, or Waller Wakers. It is a nice stiff hair; but as has been noted by others, it is not quite as bouyant as deer or elk. The Riffle Dancer originated by Mark Pinch of Spokane for Clearwater and Grande Rhonde fish uses moose hair over the top or the hook eye so that it riffles the fly and lets it rock back and forth on its deer hair outrigger wings (I like to use moose hair for the wings instead of deer hair). I suppose I should post a scan of a Riffle Dancer so folks can see what it looks like.

The stiffness is why Lani Waller used it as the throat on the Waller Waker.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:03 PM
LBFF Mojo

I will post some of my riffle dancers as well. I love that fly and do use moose for the top of the head but have not tried it for the outriggers yet. Will tie some up with moose tonight.

-sean
Old 07-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Pullin' Thread

Sean,

I thought you used the Riffle Dancer. Moose use as the outrigger wings allows you to tie the wings in separately then simply cutting the wing stubs a bit past the eye for the carapace. This allow you to combine 2 steps into one: the deer hair wings, and the moose hair carapace.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.