Future of Monomoy Island and South beach - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2004, 12:52 PM
President of CAC

Future of Monomoy Island and South beach

According to Keith from his talks with the Wildlife Geologists this is what they think the furture holds.... Keith can correct any mistakes I make after he sees this. Monomoy typically goes though a 150 year cycle.... we are in year 75 right now.... South Beach will merge with south Monomoy at the southway... and this will happen soon...maybe even this year or next.... Once this happens.... and north Monomoy at the crib filling in.... Chatham cut will disapear as the water will push thought the access beach we all know form Pleasant Bay.... as this happens and since North monomoy is "sinking", the southway will open again and south beach will begin to recede northward as that sand will deposit off South monomoy.... North will join south AND will close the Morris Island water way so that Morris Island, north monomoy and south will be one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2004, 03:26 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Tub open Up?

John, thanks for the info on what the experts are predicting for our place of choice. If the cut in front of the lighthouse closes, does that mean the water flow/current will push into the tub, and then reopen the southway?

Thanks again for your update on nature's dynamic process of change.

Simms
Old 07-07-2004, 09:11 PM

Monomoy and South Beach on the move

Hi Jim,

Hope all is well with you and the family. Miss seeing you guys every morning. Tell Brad to keep practicing his Monomoy prayer for his fall return

South Beach is growing and breaking down on the south end at the same time. Each time it grows further the fast current breaks it off and it falls into the channel between South Monomoy and South Beach. There was actually dry sand showing during the full moon lows this week. Small 20 ft CC were running aground at low.
The enterance between North and South to the crib gets lower by the day. The change of current flow from South Beach is erroding the east face of the North tip of South Monomoy daily and that is flowing into the crib area.

Once South Beach attaches the word is the north end of South Beach should break off from the mainland, then that should cause flow to open up the south end of south beach. This will lead to the fast errosion of south beach as it will collapse to the west. If you look out from the over look at the refuge at low you can see the westward growth all ready. You guys practically walk back to the refuge from the Rosa Rogusa flat as it is now at low tide. The westward flow of sand should reconnect to the mainland and reconnect monomoy to the refuge headquaters again. North Monomoy will be erroded from the flow coming down from pleasant bay and it will reappear on the west side common flats where it used to be 150 + years ago from the west ward movement of the now south beach sands.

This is what I was told by the powers to be. Too bad none of us will be around to see it all finished in 75 years.

Keith
Old 07-07-2004, 09:21 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Keith,
Just how OLD do you think we are????
Some of us just look older than we act...., I think 1/2 your regular guys are good for another 75!
Cheers,
DK
Old 07-07-2004, 09:36 PM

How old is to old?

I don't know about you Dennis, but I'm 34 and by all means if I am still around in 75, you have my personal blessing to put me down

Keith
Old 07-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Fascinating! Guess my waypoints won't be worth a darn pretty soon. Fun watching how the footprints track from year to year though.

I hope to see as many of these 75 years as possible... better start living clean, eating right and exercising to maximize the angling years I have left on the refuge. I would hate to come up lame the very year that the striper valhalla of the ages emerges from the constant shifting of the sands!

To read other's reports while I am out of commission would kill me
Old 07-07-2004, 10:40 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Hmmmmmmn,
Let's see Keith , I was in college when you were in 3rd grade......, Gonna have to put the big blue cooler on lo-cal if I'm gonna do the 75yr reunion on NMI...., might not be worth it. I think I better sign off and go grab a cold one!
Cheers,
DK
Old 07-08-2004, 07:11 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Great Read

Keith, thanks for the update on the portended changes! It is exciting to be able to witness them firsthand.

See ya soon,

Simms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.