7/3 - 7/4 Chatham and Bayside - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2004, 09:24 AM
Middle Aged Member

7/3 - 7/4 Chatham and Bayside

Picked up a schoolie in front of the light Sat. am, then made my way out to the point. About six I saw what looked like the famous striblue doin the stibluestrut from the stairs. We did some reconn of the outer bars and fished some fishy looking water with no success. Lotta sand out there.

Sunday, conditions were ideallic on the bayside, too perfect. Went to the outflow of the creek and fished fruitlessly to the bottom. Really strange. Absolutely no signs of fish. As I was leaving I heard tails of lots of fish, and big ones too, on the incoming. Normal for this point in the season but you should be able to, at least pick up some schoolies on the drop in the early am. This morning was a repeat. I need to get down for the flood. Tommorow is my fishing day so maybe then.
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2004, 01:04 PM

I was out on the bayside flats Saturday with the family. Lots of blues out there. We did see a few bass but nothing huge. The water temp was 68.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Squeezed a few outings in between charters over the break, but mostly paid some "family quality time" debts I owed. It was nice sitting on the beach with the family but my mind keep wandering to the distant bars and shoals

Released several flats legals on North with the 9'8" Speytracker, released one memorable 35" 18+ pound fish (FAT) on Nauset area 6 on the Atlantis, and a few drag burners at the lighthouse on the twilight evening flood tide with the new 9/10 prototype. Good to get out if even for an hour here or there, and the CND rods got a real workout.

Hope you single and/or vacationing guys got some mid-day flood action on those two bluebird days! Talk about gorgeous weather...

Best surprises...

1) twilight action with big poppers tied on tubes has been great! Exciting too, but they miss the fly a lot. I am thinking of changing from foam to another material that is a little more "damp" on the surface so they can hit it better. Pulling them down with fast sinking lines has also been productive, a lot of disturbance down there with a popper held down against it's will.

2) my coho squid pattern adapted to stripers was rockin' on the north end of north monomoy when the current got to moving even after crabs, shrimp, eels, and chub imitations were rejected. I thought the first one was a fluke (figuratively speaking) but managed some pretty consistent action with it over the course of the afternoon.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Pencil me in.....

Foam poppers were working great in the middle of the day on a Nearside river/estuary system. Adapted some tested bass tourney tactics to get them to come back an eat it
Old 07-05-2004, 09:56 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Juro,
What does your coho/squid pattern look like?
I saw a neat pattern tied with corsair at the clave, wish I'd spoke up and swapped a bug for it.
All is well out here.
Cheers,
DK
Old 07-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Dennis -

I will post a pic and recipe.

Basically it's legged with tan grizzly or straight tan hackles, sometime rubber legs, and a skirt of matching tan/peach marabou stopping around the bend of the hook. Then there is brick red dubbing wrapped on a hook or tube up toward the eye.

Then a sleeve of ez-body, either pearlescent or clear, tied in and rolled over itself to form the mantle over the brick red dubbing. The top of the mesh tube is tied in, and two marabou tufts will form the head fins after the mantle is soft-tex'ed. Large eyes are laid onto the ez-body down near the bend and optionally the ez-body is colored or speckled with a pantone pen.

Then the entire ez-body mantle is skim-coated with softex and allowed to dry. This creates a very durable squid pattern that will outlast the hook, so a tube fly is a great option.

Finally, tie in a couple of tan marabou tufts on either side of the head to form fins and finish with a dab of zap-a-gap to lock the threads.

Advantages of the tube are that you can tie this pattern in virtually any size you want provided you can find the ez-body tube big enough to match the mantle.

I first tied this after catching chromer bright hooknose coho salmon out on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State and having them puke up little squid on my deck. They did well on coho as well as an occasional king salmon (blackmouth). It seems everytime I tied it on in striper country I would do well, so I gave it a swim after fish would reject everything else I had in my box.

What's funny is that they seemed to move for the fly readily - perhaps if I had gone to another area where juvie squid are not all too common they would not have reacted as such... but I was not complainin'!!

Will post a pic when I get a chance.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:11 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Thanks Juro,
Tight lines.
DK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.