Sunday AM- Off South Beach - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2004, 12:50 PM
President of CAC

Sunday AM- Off South Beach

Took off for Barn Hill ramp and off by 7Am, back at 12 noon.... Fog moved in heavy around 10:30... we had no fish finder , compass, fog horn, etc... Lucky I had my pocket GPS...Slack tide then incomming.... drifted Deep eels along with the current. Started hitting fat stripers but all were 27 1/2 to 24.... Picked up good size blues by motoring back slowly and finding surface activity. Great morning.... Decided we better take a picture of one of these since It looked like we were not going to get any cows this morning... we will try again on Tuesday and I will hit North Monomoy tomorrow. At deep low we could not find the opening to the crib... great changes down there... If anyone does not think South beach will merge with South Monomoy go look at dead low at a minus tide like this morning at the entrance of the Southway... and you can throw a tennis ball from one side to other with little effort. Way different from last year.... keep in shape because the walking will get longer...but what possibilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03192.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	3453  

Last edited by striblue; 07-04-2004 at 01:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2004, 03:03 PM
just say no to bait

Very nice John,

We are just comming into salmon season on this coast. Hopefully I will be able to match this pic with one from our coast.

Cheers N I
Old 07-04-2004, 03:42 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
One Land Mass?

John, if the southway fills in, does that also mean that N. and S. Monomoy will merge? Keith indicated that it is tough to now get thru the crib since it is filling in, as you indicated. Without current from the southway, the whole complex will see significant change. What is your take?

Simms
Old 07-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Pencil me in.....

I hopes this means more fish holding on the nearside. Shorter commute
Old 07-04-2004, 07:37 PM
President of CAC

Jim.... I don't know, but the closing is also the opinion of the local guys who have lived in Chatham all their lives... I am guessing ,but absent a huge storm... the Southway will close ...and soon... that closure will effect the crib even more... the crib is ALREADY closing up... the current coming in from stage harbor is negligible compared with the flow which was coming from the southway... I see, and only my opinion... that with the southerly flow of sand which is a fact.... witness the growth of south beach PLUS the closing up of the south end of the Cut at the light house.... sand will continue to flow... closing the crib and southway and making the Tub a backwater or "pond" which will have some effect from tides from Stage... but it will not be like it is now.... Once the merge occurrs... the sand will continue to build up at the point at South Monomoy a a greater rate than it is now... Eventually, a weakness in the sand bar may change things from a major storm...like what happened at the cut at the light house...but this will change beach fishing significantly...since North Monomoy and South will merge.... You can see this already and because of the huge forces from the southerly flow of sand...it is inevitable. Breaks only happen from Storms...left unabated the flow will just continue bulding the barrier beach and Monomoy.JMHO

Last edited by striblue; 07-04-2004 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:52 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
so...the Cut at the Lighthouse is Changing

John, thanks for the opinion on S. Beach, & N/S Monomoy. Now, as the sand markedly moving south, as attested by the southway and now, the cut at the lighthouse, do you see that cut filling in? If so, the current/flow from Pleasant Bay has to go somewhere, and that could be thru the tub? If so, then history repeats itself!

Then, you have to wonder will the flow then go around Morris Island into the sound or attempt a cut elsewhere? Interesting contemplation.

There will be all kinds of possibilities for Keith and the Admiral.

Simms
Old 07-06-2004, 08:33 AM

boat report

John we were out there too...didn't see you.

Out early off the light and immediately into acres and acres of birds and sandeels. Typical too much bait scenario with fish crashing the bait very sporadically. Wonder if they had been feeding all night under the clear full moon? Large blues and one legal landed. 30" but 12 pounds the most distended belly I have ever seen on a striper. Heavy rods and radical sinking lines were the ticket

Fished bayside on Saturday which was much better. Tons o' bluefish over there to jump slash and steal your flies. Bass were plentiful too. Nothing huge but consistent action for the duration of a marathon day. The bass were stacked on the edge of shallow rips - you could see them as you drifted over...very cool.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:21 PM

Glad you got out John - even happier you got back in!!

A big for the boat owner running without any compass, GPS or horn. Things go bad too quickly out there, regardless of how big your boat is.

Roop
Old 07-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

If South Beach and South Monomoy Merge, then the peninsula will be 12 miles long and we can make the ultimate death march to the point rip!
Old 07-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Flats Rat

That would be very cool but whatt about those pesky PIPING PLOVERS?? Will they decide that now there's no natural barrier between south beach and south monomoy then the whole peninsula is off-limits? Lets keep our ears to the ground - just in case
Old 07-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Fly chucker

Oh come on now....so what if the penninsula is off limits? Instead of a 12 mile death march, it will be a 12 mile death wade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.