Moosehair Wings From The Rock - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2004, 06:24 AM

Moosehair Wings From The Rock

Guys, just a sample of some moosehair wet flies that fish both the Main and Humber rivers very well here. They may work well in your areas as well.
Tight lines!
Sayow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Charm Green Butt.jpeg
Views:	430
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	3436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thunder and Lightning.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	3437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Green Highlander.jpeg
Views:	413
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	3438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oakie's Black Fly.jpeg
Views:	398
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	3439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange Riffle.jpeg
Views:	402
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	3440  

Last edited by sayow; 07-02-2004 at 07:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2004, 06:57 AM
Kodiak Alaska

Very nice. Whats the buancy of the moose hair? I've used it for wings on my attempts at dry flies but never as a wing on a streamer.

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:48 AM

Simple, but effective.
The moosehair just riffles better, not sure if it's the buoyancy of the moosehar, or just the inherent stiffness of the hair. We fish them in medium to fast flowing water, usually tied with a Portland Creek Hitch, and the moose hair keeps them up and riffles them beautifully. I tie most of my atlantic salmon flies with moose hair, regardless of what the pattern calls for. It just fishes better. You'll notice that the Orange Riffle ( A Rob Solo pattern, renowned West Coast Newfoundland tyer) has a layered wing with grey squrrel tail over moose hair. This fly has taken countless 20-30 pound salmon on the Lower Humber over the last 10 years or so. However the best producer of the lot is probably the Blue Charm (Tied here with a green butt as opposed to the traditional yellow), followed by the Thunder & Lightning and the Green Highlander. Despite the peat stained waters of both major rivers in my area, the black body flies work best, followed by green bodies.
Tight lines!
Sayow
Old 07-02-2004, 09:10 AM

It’s interesting the way you can change the properties of the fly just by changing the wing material. They look good with the moose hair also.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:15 AM

Thanks. I agree, the wing material can have a huge effect. I know in Central Newfoundland on the Gander and Exploits rivers, white calf tail is used on a lot of the traditional patterns. The White Thunder being a prime example. Not many fish the white winged versions on the West Coast of the Island, and I don't know why. I will be trying a few this summer, because just like the fluorescent green butts that are working wonders this spring, you just never know. Thanks for the reply.
Tight lines!
Sayow
Old 07-07-2004, 03:25 PM

Sayow
Nice flies !!I'll try and post a streamer pattern that we use in Gaspe.Speakin' of the rock did you here about the 50# fish they hoisted over the Harry's River trap lats week ? It broke the net and two attendants had to handlift it over !!!
Cheers
Brian
Old 07-07-2004, 04:24 PM

WOW! No I didn't hear that! That's great news. Harry's was one of the best rivers on the west coast at one time, but poaching has dessimated the stocks over the years. Good to see a BIG breeder like that going upstream to spread his/her genes! Thanks for the post. I'll keep an eye out for the streamer post.
Tight lines!
Sayow
Old 07-20-2004, 08:26 PM

Salar-1
I wonder how long before some poacher gets that one, too. Harry's was not only the best river on the west coast of Newfoundland...it was THE best in Newfoundland (and perhaps Labrador as well). Caught my first large Atlantic there in the Lower Dump pool. Haven't been back there for years. The last time a fishing buddy and myself fished there we met a couple of fellow fishermen in the Upper Dump pool. Like ourselves, they bemoaned the fact that such an amazing river was practically poached to death.They were from the Stephenville area and told us of a chap who brazenly sold poached Harry's River salmon from the back of his truck on a Stephenville street! He had even told them the pool he netted them in!
Hope the big one makes it. How did you ever hear about that in the Gaspe?
Old 08-02-2004, 02:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nooksack Mac
Your use of stiff moose hair for wings reminds me that coarse bucktail was the standard winging material for the early Pacific N.W. steelhead flies. Styles then evolved to softer bucktail and other, softer materials to give more "action." But as you're discovering, stiffness in the wing, inasmuch as it makes the fly riffle better, is a virtue.
Are you willing to take it farther? How about cutting the wing's end into a little protruding stub, like the Troth's Elkhair Caddis? How about going farther still: leaving a big wing stub, even coating it with a semi-flexible cement like Dave's Fleximent or Goop and finger-molding it into a flat disc? Purists would say that that's crossing the line from fly to lure, but some radical steelhead fly anglers have been using such riffling (popping? chugging?) flies for more than a decade.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:13 PM

Here's (finally !!) the streamer pattern I mentioned
Bill's Streamer
Hook- 2/0
Tag- fine silver
Tail-JC tippet
Body-Silver with silver ribbing
Wing- Dark brown Moose
Hackle- Black or very dark brown

Cheers
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bill's fly.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	3555  
Old 08-04-2004, 04:42 PM

Chare
Read the news aout Harry's on TheSalmon Preservation Association for the Waters of Newfoundland ( SPAWN).Click on News and it's in there.
BTW the University in St John's hosts the SALAR list if your interested in joining up.
Good info on Nfld, NS,NB and QC fishing
Cheers !
Brian
Old 08-06-2004, 06:04 AM

Nice fly, thanks for posting it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.