Line for streamer fishing: WF or ST? - Fly Fishing Forum
Lines, Loops and Leaders Line / Leader Recipes, Loops, Splices, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Marine Scientist

Line for streamer fishing: WF or ST?

Just wondering what type(s) of line those who often fish with streamers are using: weight-forward or shooting heads? I like to fish with shooting heads as much as possible because I feel that the advantage it gives me with casting distance, as well as the ability to throw somewhat larger patterns (versus using a WF line) puts me in connection with a greater number of large fish. I'm interested to see what everyone else is using, and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2004, 12:53 PM
Pullin' Thread

Chris,

The other advantage to using shooting head with streamers is that a 30 ft sinking shooting head keeps the fly at a fairly consistent depth when you retrieve it. A floating line or a sinktip line does not do this, they move the fly up in the water column as you retrieve and in moving water this movement of the fly higher up the water colomn on a retrieve is even more pronounced.

To answer your question, I use shooting heads almost exclusively when trout or bass fishing.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:58 PM
just say no to bait

Hi Flyfisha l,
We are coasts apart so this may be of little use. Like you I also like shooting heads. For fishing streamers on the beach or rivers I have been using wf lines I have cut and custmized.

Airflo just introduced a new product called 40+ , which is basically a factory shooting head. They come in all sink rates and have heads that are 35 ft. long. Casting is brilliant! I'm finding that they are replaceing my full sink lines.

hope this helps N I
Old 03-16-2004, 01:07 PM
LBFF Mojo

I second the airflo 40+ lines. They are rockets and come with a killer running line.

Switching over my SA GPX lines to them as we speak.

-sean
Old 06-30-2004, 10:52 AM

On the Rock, where 30kt wind is the general order of the day, a rocket taper is the only thing to even try and shoot, particularly with the larger deer hair dry flies like the "Bomber", or with the larger wets and streamers. I use the Cortland Lazer 444, and it is excellent. Tough to load the rod with a short throw, and definately not for delicate presentation over loggy August fish... Tight lines!
Old 06-30-2004, 02:38 PM

well My streamer fishing consists of throwing weighted streamers against undercut banks on Montana streams. I never do any open water streamer fishing.. For My purposes a floating line is all that is needed and I prefer a steelhead taper 6wt. seeing as how no one carries the 6wt in that taper anymore i'll probably revert back to a double taper...
Old 06-30-2004, 07:34 PM

a steelhead taper is a real pleasure to fish if you are using a floater. mends, rolls, and single handed spey type casts etc. it really depends on what kind of water you are fishing. every line has it's uses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.