Southeast CT shore report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2004, 08:18 AM
Fly chucker

Southeast CT shore report

I hit some shore spots in Waterford from late yesterday afternoon until about 9pm. Upon arrival, the beach areas were still full of swimmers and sunbathers so I hit an out of the way edge of rock and white sand where sandeels were balled up. It looked fishy, and my patience soon paid off with a few fiesty schoolies that I sighted. They eagerly took my bronze over smoke surf candy.

As the afternoon turned into evening, the terns were working hard at the end of an outflow. The shadows lengthened and I switched to a black flatwing that got immediate attention. I missed an embarrasing number of fish, managing to only land about one of every three that hit. But now I know that they're into their summer mode, and will be available for graveyard shift efforts on the weekends.

It was a beautiful night to get out and catch some fish.
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 08:40 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Wink Full moon fishin

Hey, Nice Report and timely too! I was wondering how busy the beaches were around CT. I'm planning to go fishing off Rocky Neck thru to Hammonasset area beaches tonight. Probably hit Napatree/Watchill Friday night.
Nice to hear there are some fish around. I haven't fished the CT area beaches before so if you have any suggestions for good nighttime spots I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2004, 08:40 AM

Se?

DH,

How far SE where you?
Old 06-30-2004, 08:48 AM
Flats Rat

There are an aweful lot of fish out there and plenty of bigger ones (30 - 40") in the mix. I plan to fish Quonny Friday night through Saturday a.m.. If the clouds disperse at midnight, full moon sight fishing is a distinct possibility A gang of us were there last night and the shad went nuts after dark. The Atlantis might be getting a good bend in the wee hours with some big shad patterns in the breachway.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:58 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Adrian,

I may see you around on friday night, I assume your going to be yakkin it. Will see how things are around Watch hill, may end up at Quonny or Matunuck.
Looking forward to some good weather full moon fishin. Good luck.

Tight lines,
Greg.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadmike
DH,

How far SE where you?
As I said in the report, Waterford.

Greg, I'll send you a PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:20 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Thanks for the PM Mark, looking forward to getting out.

Greg.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Fly chucker

Adrian- Was that shad activity in the breachway, or in the pond itself?

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Flats Rat

Mark

The shad were concentrated in the channel into the main pond up as far as the red marker buouy on the outgoing. On the incoming they were distributed all along the edge of the flats.

Small flies and dead drift presentation resulted in hook-ups on almost every cast! I didn't check the main breachway but a guy snorkeling there over the week-end claims to have seen large numbers of big stripers hugging the bottom.

Greg

Yup, I'll be taking the yak but only for transportation across to the Western flats.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:55 AM

Talking

I have had good result with a small Couser on the Shad at Point Judith Pond.
FishHawk
Old 06-30-2004, 08:29 PM
resigned

Hickory shad love anything two to three inches long and olive and white seems to do the trick whether it's a clouse or deciever. There is a point of land where I live at the mouth of the Mystic River in Ct. where the shad show every night during the summer just at dusk. I rarely land many of them because of the monsterous striped bass that follow them out of the river. After one leap they are zig zagging all over the place trying to get away from the dinner table! It's hilarious at times. I use very small cadmium hooks in the event of ingestion. Lots of rocks and weeds prevent most landings when these hooks hold. Lost two flylines after being wrapped around rocks. On numerous occasions had only a few turns of backing left. Largest landed striper to date was 48"! This is a spectacle that many of our friends and family have come to enjoy watching. They often take the shad right from under our noses at the edge of the outcropings. One kid got so scared of the sight of one, he thought it was a shark and ran for cover! It was HUGE!!!! I'm a flyfisherman who on occasion bites the bullet when my foot long flies don't work. Live lining with a nine weight is not for the faint at heart! So. Needless to say, where you find Hickory Shad you usually find something much larger in the food chain.

Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.