Saltwater floating line recommendation? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2004, 12:27 AM

Saltwater floating line recommendation?

I'm going off the tip of the Yucatan in a couple of weeks and need a recommendation for a great tropical floating 9wt line. I'm going to use it on the baby tarpon on my 8wt. TiCr. It has been recommended to go up one line weight. I've never used or owned a tropical line, so this is a new game for me. Your experience is appreciated. My casting abilities are probably only fair - I can get to 80 feet or so with 2 false casts, if it matters.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 06:42 AM
Flats Rat

Check out our Sponsors and go with RIO! They do a great line of tropical lines. For sight casting situations, speed and accuracy in the wind are more important than distance in most cases. If you plan to target Permit (and you absolutely should, the Yucatan is loaded with them), practice hitting a dinner plate with that 80ft cast and you'll be in good shape.

I would certainly try the line before you travel. Get hold of a 9wt floater and try it in the back yard on your 8wt just to get an idea what it might feel like.

Have a great trip and please post a trip report with PICS on the bonefish board
Old 06-30-2004, 09:07 AM

Line for tropics

I have been using Orvis Wonderline for a couple of years now and it is great. Both the tarpon taper (quick loading aggressive WF taper) and the bonefish taper (not so aggressive, slower loading and much more delicate presentation - go up 1 line weight) will stand you in good stead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2004, 09:47 AM

I think that SA is also a sponsor, and I like their Bone fish taper. As for over lining that rod....try out both line weights and see for your self. the shop should have something to demo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.