Broken JW Young 1535 - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2004, 04:42 PM

Broken JW Young 1535

I have an old JW Young 1535 that has a broken drag pawl pin. It is really not worth much, except my wife gave it to me as a gift several years ago. So because of the sentimental value I'd like to fix it, or have it fixed. Does anyone know where I could purchase a part like this? I was told that the Hardy pins will fit. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2004, 10:20 PM

I have two 1535's and a Hardy Marquis Salmon #2. Pins certainly look the same...the pawls certainlly can be swapped...so I can't see why the pin couldn't be. Question is why would you rob a Hardy to fix a J. W. Young...wife notwithstanding The Young has two pins anyway doesn't it ...why not just use the other or get some machinist in one of the local paper mills to have a look at it...some of them do fantastic work.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:06 AM

Chare,
I certainly wouldn't rob a Hardy for a JW!
No... the parts are hard to come by for the JW's, now that the company is defunct. The ol' JW's were great workhorses of reels, if a little heavy. I currently use a Hardy Marquis Disk 9,10, 11 on my 9'6" 9wt HMG, and have a Hardy St. Aiden on my 9' 8wt Eagle GT. I still have an old JW 1530, which is currently relegated to backup duty on an American Outdoors Graphite 8'6" 6-7wt. Despite that, I would still like to have the old 1535 at 100%. It does still work OK with the one pawl. Thanks for the feedback!
Incidentally, what part of the Rock are you from??
Old 07-02-2004, 10:48 AM

You wouldn't know anything about the Hardy Viscounts, I suppose?
Old 07-02-2004, 11:05 AM

My buddy has a Viscount click pawl drag. Nice sized reel for grilse and medium salmon, with lots of room for backing of 150 yards or more, and pretty light for it's size. The dark finish is a tad finicky, so you have to be careful where you lay it down, because it scratches easily. They are LOUD! If you like to hear a reel scream, nothing sounds as sweet as a big Hardy click pawl with a fresh atlantic on the other end! He loves the reel, and doesn't regret the price of buying it. Some tout the fact that the "new" Hardy's don't have the quality that the "old" ones had. I quite disagree, they've been great performers for me. I personally purchased the first Hardy (St. Aiden) after hearing my buddy's 25 year old Marquis Salmon scream up on Mercer's Pool, Adies stream. Personally I think if you are looking to buy a reel to handle medium to moderately large fish, and plan to use it in fresh water, the Viscount is a great choice.
The Bougle... now that's something else altogether. Just wish it wasn't soooo expensive. Hope this helped a wee bit.
Tight lines!
Sayow
Old 07-02-2004, 11:58 AM

I want to load it with 300 yds of gelspun backing and SA Mastery Spy XLT line (140 ftr). I don't know if the 9/10 will handle it. But I think they make a 10/11, too.
Are they discontinued reels or new models?
Old 07-02-2004, 11:59 AM

That's Spey, not Spy ,sorry.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:36 PM

Good question. They were just introduced in 1999, however they don't seem to appear in the 2004 line. Odd. They've (Hardy) joined forces with Cortland, so you never know what we'll see from them now. Regardless, they will still put out a quality product. Albeit at a price.
Tight lines!
Sayow
Old 07-02-2004, 05:11 PM

I just e-mailed Hardy in England...they should be able to straighten it out. Do you know which model your buddy has and how much he paid for it?
Old 07-02-2004, 07:42 PM

He has the MKIII and paid somewhere around 230CDN landed at his house from LeBaron.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:35 PM

I figured the Mark III,but I wondered which line weight model ...the 8/9,9/10,or the 10/11? LeBaron?, That's a Quebec mail odred company, isn't it?
Old 07-03-2004, 08:31 AM

Sorry about that, he has the 8/9 wt model. LeBaron is a Quebec mail order company, with some very good prices. http://www.lebaron.ca
According to the online catalogue, they have the MKIII, I think at 185 plus tax and shipping. Hope this helps.
Tight lines!
Sayow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.