DNA Sand Eel- Epoxied - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2004, 05:46 AM
President of CAC

DNA Sand Eel- Epoxied

I epoxied the sand eel to deal with fouling... I could haved used Softex..., . This will also help with durability. The Thread is also mono.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sande.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	3418  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2004, 06:26 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Did you fish these on the rip the other day? How was the fouling.... I assume your epoxy reaction was due to some fouling observation then. I have invested in a bunch of this material when it first came out last year but have not really put it to the field test.

Mono is the only way to go, I have been using it for baitfish since Harry Lemire stopped by Kaufmanns in Bellevue with a coho fly pattern about 15 years ago. I was amazed by the lack of visibility of thread and the tranlucency of his materials, part natural and part synthetic.

Also, how do you like the Varivas hooks? I've never taken a liking to them, opting to stick with my TMC 811s for this style of fly - they haven't let me down in sandy conditions although a thicker wire might be better for the unfortunate souls who have to flyfish in rocks
Old 06-29-2004, 06:29 AM

Nice work Iron Man. I have tried DNA but the jury is still out. Whenever I tie a new pattern I don't go overboard until I check it out. Have a friend who tied three dozen ants on a hook that he thought was light enough so that the ants would float. Well guess what they didn't . Lesson learned. FishHawk
Old 06-29-2004, 07:03 AM
fish'n Hobo

Fantastic!
Old 06-29-2004, 07:12 AM
President of CAC

Juro, I used the deep eels, not this stuff, yet... and used the Tiemco wire hooks. I did not test this material as of now...but will soon, The funny thing is that we have had material like this in the past but it was called flouro Fiber. I know it is somewhat different from flouro fiber though. Unfortunatly the packages are small, so unlike Super hair or Unique hair one package will not make as many eels. The epoxying is just my "anticipation" of fouling because of the consistancy compared with the more "stiff" super hair. I seem to have better luck with hook up using the smalled varivas as oppose to the larger...go figure.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:25 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I used to blend angel hair into the synthetic (ultrahair) to get that light flash look but the angel hair is not durable despite looking fantastic. Even angel hair is more than needed in most flats situations and I am currently experimenting with blending DNA into ultrahair to get a semi-transluscent / semi-opaque look and it looks really good.

Really the only reason I would bother to go to this extent would be to see if there is a flats advantage, whereby the deep eel in it's current form is plenty appealing to fish who are searching for sand eels in the surf, rips or any active feedbag situations.

My flats strategy is moving away from the all-too-common sand eel patterns, which seem to be the most popular out there in the refuge nowadays. I have a suite of bonefish-inspired patterns that I drew up on the plane flying home from Exuma I need to start tying / trying, to turn the page on the flats pattern book. if nothing else coming back to the eel will feel fresh and new again after exploring new stuff like mole crabs on the agenda.

But when it comes to rips, surf, or migrating fish it's hard to beat the eel!
Old 06-29-2004, 07:33 AM
President of CAC

Yes...the Angel hair would pull away too soon for me...I will show you some flash material I found that is "thin'.... and durable. I have only 3 strands in the pictured eel, it is subtle, not bold and 1/2 the thinkness of the usualy flash...maybe more thin.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:59 PM
_

[QUOTE=striblue] . . . we have had material like this in the past but it was called flouro Fiber. . . . QUOTE]

Ah-ha! I knew that stuff looked familiar! In fact, I was just about to post a thread asking if it is the same material. So far I have only used fluoro fiber to accent flies tied with other materials. I did find that it fouls easily when long pieces are used, especially after catching a fish or screwing up the cast so that the leader tangles around the fly.

Q
Old 06-29-2004, 02:50 PM
President of CAC

Q...don't forget that it is like flouro fiber BUT not quite the same...it comes in two varieties...the powder type which is close to flouro Fiber and the shinny (not a lot of shine, but subtle), this is more different than flouro fiber.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.