Sandeels - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2004, 01:30 PM
fish'n Hobo

Sandeels

Based on my last excursion to SE Cape....here are some recent sandeel flies. Based on Bob Pop's and Capt. Stan's patterns with a few liberties taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EELS2 SMALL.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	3412  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2004, 01:44 PM
LT 20

Nice Job

Nice looking flies Jim, they should serve you well.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:04 PM
President of CAC

Jim..Those are great.... reminds me of the old eels that Bob Benson used to tie with the one long grizzly hackle... These would ride hook up? Right?
Old 06-28-2004, 02:12 PM
fish'n Hobo

John
They ride hook up...at least in the bathtub.
The epoxies have a conehead and the hook acts like a keel. The bendbacks have lead wraps under the braid. Can't wait to field test!
Old 06-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Flats Rat

Jim

Nice flies! I've been working with bendbacks this season with good results now I've got the "bend" figured out. I'll post a pic once my camera batteries recharge but I ended up with a sort of keel-hook profile which resulted in a much better retention rate.

They ride hook-up and are virually foul-proof, a big consideration when sight casting into a 20mph headwind
Old 06-28-2004, 02:46 PM
fish'n Hobo

Thumbs up

Adrian
I think you are on the right track. I really like the concept of the bendback. I wish I had more opportunity to field test, modify and fine tune a fly pattern. I've admired Capt. Stan's patterns and the use of the hook profile to yield a thin or wide body pattern (depending on the bend and hook gap). I look forward to seeing the posted pics of your progress.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:08 PM
President of CAC

Jim, what kind of hooks are you using...I noticed that the top ones appear to be regular hooks whereas the bottom ones seem that they are bent....did you buy them bent or did you bend them yourself?
Old 06-28-2004, 03:22 PM
fish'n Hobo

John
Mustad....bent them w/ a visegrips persuader. Both patterns are bent....but in a different location & shape. That's the problem, it's really trial & error in finding the best profile. If I had a good "stock" hook to work with....then one could modify the materials (weight & drag) to tune in the best solution. The hook profile is just another variable (for me anyway).

Hopefully Adrian has found a good mix!

Also I think a longer shank hook might be better. A longer keel and less chance of closing up the hook gap w/ the rigid epoxy head. Something to explore.

Last edited by Jim Miller; 06-28-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:07 PM
Flats Rat

Here we go - sorry about pic quality but you get the idea. These are simple/sparse bucktail streamers witha bit of flash and blended colors. The two bare hooks show the two steps in bending to get the keelhook profile. I picked up some keel-hooks from mustad but they dont give you much hookshank to tie on. I've been using TMC811s and Daiichis.

p.s. Credits where due:

The fly above the quarter is Ray's fly tied bendback style. The others are based on the bucktail streamer ideas in Ken Abrames "A Perfect Fish". I just chose different color combos. I've been using rootbeer a lot this season. Blended with other colors it produces some very nice effects (olive, deep purple etc.) The fish seem to like it too
Old 06-28-2004, 04:10 PM
President of CAC

I will tie up a bunch with the new stuff called DNA which should give it a fine and subtle color for the flats along with a clear mono tread. Have any of you heard about the issue of bending hooks might take some strength away from them at the point of the bend...just wondering.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:18 PM
fish'n Hobo

Adrian: Those look great! You really have the keel concept going in those patterns. I wonder how much need there is to "hide" the hook in the material?

John: Bending the hook only presents a "structural" problem with the MONSTER bass YOU catch! He He
Old 06-28-2004, 04:38 PM
Flats Rat

I've had a couple of daiichis break when bending - obviously some imperfection which Fred refered to a while back? It must weaken the hook to some extent but on good wire there should be enough integrity left to outlast the 20lb tippet. Ive landed two fish over thirty inches so far on the small flies and gave them both some serious stick.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:07 PM

Talking

Nice flies Jim and Adrian. I think this is the way to go. I have tried the Tiemco 811's it's a nice sharp hook. Adrian one of these days I'll plan to meet you in RI to do one of the salt ponds in the yak. Another good area to try would be Barn Island. FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.