Rip Trip Report- 10 Guys, 200+ Fish!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2004, 04:25 PM
President of CAC

Rip Trip Report- 10 Guys, 200+ Fish!!

I will keep this short... I will post pictures Sunday Night since I don't have the computer attachement... We had one no show, but Jim Simms son took his place...Today was nothing short of the classic Rip trip that we have come to know. The weather was great, fog, 75 degrees , no or little wind from the W,SW... Smooth ride over.... With the rip not yet set up we started fishing right away.... at about 8:30...FredA was the first to hook up.. I was watching him as I was stripping then I hooked up...about a minute later all hell broke lose.... We were on fish for the next hour and one half.... Two keepers caught, one by Dave17 and the other, I forget....... To many double hookups to count, many triple hook ups, and two Quadruple hook ups I saw personally with me in one of them. Most fish to the mid 20's , light and sea lice...Then ...1/2 hour lull.... then fish hitting sporadically as the rip started to form... then another fluster with everyone hooking up...Just two more lulls though out the day lasting maybe 1/2 hour each... then more fish and double hook ups... Dave17 and Brad took he honnors with the most fish.....Big Blues started in the mix around 12 or 1..... Blues would hit as the fly dropped with the stripers hitting close to shore in the classic style.... Guys resting, eating ,watching others catch ,then viceversa. No really big fish today but we did not care... Just hard to describe... contant action all day....We figured over 200 hundred but maybe 250... with a couple guys hitting 30... and the rest of us in the 20's. I could not take pictures of the first hour and 1/2 since I was in the fray and the camera was back at Rip HQ. Some guy called me twice on my cell phone and left a message, imitating Keiths Voice telling me the wind was up and we would have to walk to the north tip, and he would see us in 6 hours... The voice sounded suspiciously like Penguin . ...Spectacular day, great company with great guys and tahnks again to Keith and the admiral... more later as the other guys drift in and I will post pics later...

Last edited by striblue; 06-26-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2004, 04:40 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Exhausted and HAPPY!

John- AWESOME trip! My best day of fishing ever.....everything I expected and more. Great fishing and great company. Looking forward to the next one. Will post my pics once the photo CD is ready at the CVS....
Doc Shep

P.S.- I'm addicted to the Atlantis, and don't care who knows about it!
Old 06-26-2004, 04:52 PM
fish'n Hobo

WOW!
You paint quite a great picture John. One of these times I am going to have to make the "RIP TRIP". Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Awesome!

The Rip Trip is a special event. Both John and I had fished "the rip" from boats and wanted to be dropped off on shore to fish it proper so we started asking Keith about access. Keith would say "there's this other guy who wants to do the same thing" and it turned out to be John! Next thing you know Capt. Keith made the dream a reality for ten adventurous souls. I think the first one was four years ago...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chron...00/ripmain.htm

In any case, sounds like you guys did the tradition proud today! I can't wait to see the pics.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:04 PM

John summed it up perfectly, great day had by all !!! Here are a couple of images from the rip......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheCrew.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	3385   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyFreak.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	3386   Click image for larger version

Name:	RipFish.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	3387  
Old 06-26-2004, 07:04 PM

Congrats to all that went! Sounded very exciting and successful. Looking forward to the time I can get to go. Glad the weather held out for you all. Looking forward to the pics and stories :-) Brad......you did your Dad proud...say hi to him for me, will miss seeing him on the flats.
Ron
Old 06-26-2004, 07:23 PM
President of CAC

Thanks Juro...I remember.... It's days like today that make the trip special. I think back when keith said I go...ALONE... if The Bird Watchers had a cancellation , I could go as the tenth Person..... Me..alone ..at the Rip...no one would have beleived me with a report. now we get to have this for the Forum...
Old 06-26-2004, 07:30 PM

Great time with a great group of guys. Awesome trip. The Iron Man was the perfect trip leader . I got an invite to the Monomoy Cafe . Chashews and various pasta salads were on the menu. Was uglad that the Doc got some fish. Good to meet the FlyFreak and the rest of the gang. Jim Sims son along with Dave 17 and CSJ60 were fishing machines. Can't wait for the next one.
FishHawk
Old 06-26-2004, 08:32 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Thank you, thank you all

I've been on the Cape since Memorial Day. Had some awesome days on S. Beach and Monomoy that I would consider memorable. Right Craig and Dennis?

Today was on a higher plateau. Thanks to John and Keith, I got the opportunity to have my son, Brad, share some of the fishing potential that this area has to offer. While he was pumped and truly excited about the fishing at the rip on S. Monomoy, it was the environment and camarderie that I enjoyed as much as the fishing. What a spectacular piece of real estate and a group of diehard flyfishermen.

The weather was ideal, the fish cooperated and while the cows were not at home today on the rip, it is just a matter of being there when there are that will make it truly memorable.

Thanks again John, Keith, Juro, Ed and et al for making this a memorable event.

I'm heading home on Sunday. Will be back Sept/Oct for the bunker/bass migration.

Simms
Old 06-26-2004, 08:44 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Jim- It was truly a pleasure getting to know you and Brad- that was a hell of a bluefish you landed today, and Brad seemed to be catching fish every time I looked in his general direction...including the one where I needed to step over his line to keep it from getting tangled with mine while he fought the fish. Wish him best of luck in school and in his efforts to take muskie on the fly- have him post some pics when he gets some...
Hope to see both of you in the fall....
Doc Shep
Old 06-26-2004, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by striblue
Thanks Juro...I remember.... It's days like today that make the trip special. I think back when keith said I go...ALONE... if The Bird Watchers had a cancellation , I could go as the tenth Person..... Me..alone ..at the Rip...no one would have beleived me with a report. now we get to have this for the Forum...
It would have been as good as being the first man on the MECCA

Seriously, that would have been insane, truly fit for a 'mayor'. And you might have even met a hippie chick
Old 06-26-2004, 11:04 PM
President of CAC

Speaking of the Mecca..... Don't you think it's time for both of us to make a ...sort of.... recon patrol out there ....soon?
Old 06-26-2004, 11:22 PM

I have been studying the panoramic photos of it I took on Tuesday AM and am thinking of hitting it as the ebb moves out to the right time day by day. Any time mid-week?
Old 06-27-2004, 09:32 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Speaking of...

Mecca RECON...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mecca04.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	3392  
Old 06-27-2004, 09:46 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Another...

...aerial angle...some interesting outside bowls and deep troughs...cow and seal country?!
Juro...
My snorkel bandages come off on Tuesday when they remove what feels like an ice pick sticking me in my phrontal lobe...nonetoosoon!
Let's go phishin'!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mecca2004.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	3393  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.