Marthas Vineyard questions??? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2004, 03:19 PM
NC Fly Guy

Marthas Vineyard questions???

I am thinking about taking up a friend of mines offer and going on up to his place in MV in October. Interested in fishing for bass from the beach. Never gotten anything respectable that way. Is October a good time of year for that. Is the striper fishing still good after the derby is over? Not really interested in false albacore. I get my fill of that around here. Would be willing to trade an albie trip in my home area for some striper fishing on MV.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:01 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hi Gordon -

Most of us "tourists" are off the island by October, but not all. The statistics say alchoholism and infidelity are high on the islands over the winter... sounds like fun, eh?

Seriously, there are waves of bass and blues moving by thru October. You should have no problem finding some striper action. If you do, just take the ferry over to our side and fish with us - but I highly doubt you will need to.

The migration will be in full tilt and the fish are moving in hordes with a sense of urgency only interrupted by the constant busting on juvie bunker along the way. It's really quite a sight to behold.

You will be in for some very good action, just make sure you know where the migratory pathways are and get in their way. Stay mobile to 'track' them on their way and you should see lots of action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2004, 10:12 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Gordon,

I just got back from a week in Martha's Vineyard. October should be a great time for cow bass and there are plenty of spots to choose from in your quest for cows.

If you buy the book "Striper Hot Spots" by Frank Daignault then he gives good walking directions to Lobsterville Beach, certain Wasque rips, Squibnocket and Menemsha. Lobsterville is a great fly fishing spot with a rip and sandbars, Wasque is an impressive and forceful rip with lots of moving water and Squibnocket is a rock garden. Menemsha can just plain be hot near the jetties on an outgoing tide.

Between these three spots you should be all set!

Good luck,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Flats Rat

Gordon

I just got hold of a copy of "Reading the Water" by Robert Post. Its a reprint of a 1988 book about the legendary Vineyard old-timers based on interviews and anecdotes. Loads of wonderful stuff about the famous Derby, all the specific locations, techniques, time of year etc. Scary thing is back then a 35lb striper (thats 35 pounds, NOT 35 inches) was considered a "reasonable" fish.

Its available on Amazon and I'd recommend it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.